Norton AV does it again

RJM

An errant update for Norton Antivirus has caused the computers of at least 1,000 users in a China city to crash, several Chinese news sources reported on Monday. According to authorities, the problem was caused by an update on May 18 that accidentally flagged and deleted two essential Windows XP files, causing the system to lock up -- showing the "blue screen of death" -- and fail to reboot.

Experts say that both the traditional and simplified Chinese versions of the Symantec software are affected. The company confirmed that it was aware of the problem and is currently looking into a solution, although no time frame has been given

http://www.betanews.com/article/Norton_Upd...hina/1179784419

lol this should be in funny farm :)

stupid symantec, why not test it first :D

deleted files hmmm how do they come back if the computer doesn't even boot up, way to go norton.

loving every minute with nod32

maybe symantec is bored and wants to install viruses of its own haha :)

Edited by XtremeMaC

• 3 weeks later...

Norton Ghost in my opinion, is horrible. Its full of bugs and its so slow when I tried to reimage my hard drive. Even one of my partitions wouldn't even boot up when I modified the partition space which I think is bulls***. Proves to me Norton can't do anything right.

For AV I would definantly go with Kaspersky, or NOD32 over Symantec. But Ghost and BackupExec seem to do a pretty good job. At least I don't know of anyone that does it better then Ghost and BackupExcec.