Socket 939 --> Socket AM2

BombaTwist

Is the upgrade from Socket 939 to a Socket AM2 worth upgrading to?

I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Core CPU and was looking to upgrade to a Dual Core, most likely an X2 AMD cpu.

I see that there is a better Socket out now that is the AM2.

I was just wondering if an upgrade from the 939 to the am2 is worth it, like as in a huge performance increase.

If i stick with socket 939.

Buy List:

X2 CPU

If i go for socket am2.

Buy List:

X2 CPU

New Motherboard

DDR2 RAM (i know i can use my current ram but, i'd rather just go for the DDR2)

Is there a real big difference between 939 and AM2? besides the fact that you can use DDR2 on AM2 supported motherboards.

-Thanks.

well i would not suggest it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103586

you can get a cheap dual core like this and overclock it to at least 2.6ghz, very easily too

as for performance goes, am2 cpu's perform identically to s939 cpu's. the only real performance difference is in memory intensive programs, but not by much either.

also if i was to upgrade right now, it certainly wouldnt be for an am2, it would be for a core 2 duo.

so just get a new cpu and use your comp for as long as you want to. if you are an amd fan then wait for the barcelona to come out. hopefully that will be in about 3 or so months unless they push back the release date again.

Thats a pretty good cpu. too bad my motherboard only supports Athon FX and X2. My Motherboard

So i guess i'm just looking for a X2 AMD for now. That should last me at least a year.

I just wanna upgrade so my computer will last another year or 2 ^.^, not that it won't but i like to upgrade little by little, just until i get a job. So i don't wanna spend too much on my next cpu.

This one doesn't look too bad.

So far upgraded:

Western Digital 250gb 16mb cache SATA

Rosewill 600W psu

Whats Left:

Video Card

CPU

Edited by BombaTwist

ehh, i really don't need that power from a cpu, even though it will be good in the long run.

my amd athlon 64 3000+ is okay, just want something a little slightly faster.

hmm, actually my temps are around 35 degrees Celsius for my cpu, maybe overclocking would be good enough and be a money saver?

i've just never tried overclocking, so i might need some guidance with that :D.

i installed the 165 opteron in a friends pc and its a big step above the 3200 venice he had before...

he loves it for playing his online games and stuff....

i intalled it in a dfi dagf board which loves it

with cheap 2gb dual channel memory

I went for an Opteron Dual Core Socket 939, as it was a cheaper option, went for the 175 Chip, off ebay, 2.2GHz Stock, got it up to just under 2.8GHz, very happy with it!

I overlcock via my system bios, easier option.

i don't know if i did it right but heres a screenshot of my overclocking so far.

does the settings look okay? i want to make sure im not messing anything up. :D

1st ss: my first attempt, changed mhz to 220.

2nd ss: second attempt, changed mhz to 225, and ht freq from 5x to 3x.

sooo yea im not really understanding much of this.

after my first attempt worked, boot up was fine, i restarted my comp and it didn't boot up :o. i kept hearing long beeping sounds, each beep was like 2 seconds each. so i got kinda scared and turned off my comp for 30 seconds and booted it back up and went straight to my 2nd attempt.

edit: my bios won't let me change my voltage settings... they are greyed out.

post-12754-1179887257_thumb.jpg

post-12754-1179890079_thumb.jpg

Edited by BombaTwist