Wmp9 Opk

You need the long switch for WMP9. The WMP9 & MM2 combo was downloaded from MS OEM site, as well as the DirectX. The WMP9 is simply the web version.

WMP9 & MM2 was created by MS, but you can use the Entreprise Deployment Tools (don't remember where to get it...) to create a similar package, adding things to WMP9 like updates and hotfixes, MM2, TweakWMP as well as preferences, and it is not very difficult. Someone with a french or dutch flag started a thread on that subject, probably 5 pages back at least.

I make execs similar to these, using the same tools, (IEXPRESS).

You need the long switch for WMP9. The WMP9 & MM2 combo was downloaded from MS OEM site, as well as the DirectX. The WMP9 is simply the web version.
Okay. DaveXP says there are extras in that exe, so I thought I'd use that. And is it possible to use both OPK and switch from svcpack.inf?
WMP9 & MM2 was created by MS, but you can use the Entreprise Deployment Tools (don't remember where to get it...) to create a similar package, adding things to WMP9 like updates and hotfixes, MM2, TweakWMP as well as preferences, and it is not very difficult. Someone with a french or dutch flag started a thread on that subject, probably 5 pages back at least.

I *think* I use the tools before, but I believe you can only make MSIs out of them, is that correct?

I make execs similar to these, using the same tools, (IEXPRESS).

Not sure if you can use IEXPRESS with non-MSI stuff like WMP9 and DX9. Can you?

1) I mean no disrespect, but I am not sure about the extras in those installs. I have not figured out a way to add this command line (with the quote character) anywhere convienient: that is why I repackaged it.

2) You are right: the deployment kit wraps MPlayer into an MSI file. I guess we can wrap that with IExpress...

3) IExpress can be used with about anything: it is not limited to MS products, nor .msi files.

I would go with the WMP & MM2 combo for simplicity...

Hope that gets you "burnin'" again!

I would use the WMP9+MM2 combo, except that I don't particularly find MM2 useful (I don't regularly make movies). :)

The IEXPRESS guide you linked to only seems to explain how to deal with an MSI file. I'm not quite sure how to translate that guide for normal packed .EXEs. Do you know if the process is drastically different?

GreenMachine,

I find your IExpress Guide very helpful, but really haven't quite got the hang of it for other programs that differ a lot from your examples.

In particular, I am especially interested in knowing what files you would have to include in an InstallShield program, that when extracted gives you 30 files, among which you have:

1. The "setup.iss" file created thanks to the -r switch.

2. Three ".cab files" (data1.cab, data2.cab, data3.cab).

3. A "setup.exe" file.

4. An "ikernel.ex_" file.

5. "setup.ini", "setup.inx" files.

6. Various .ico and .bmp files.

So which files would have to be added to the "Packaged Files" list in IExpress? (I think I am referring to the 6th IExpress Screen you show on your example IExpress guides).

:rolleyes:

Note: Perhaps you could pin how different program silent intalls, or opk executables, are created using IExpress? I bet this would be a very popular thread...! :)

I just created my first package from an InstallShield Installer, so I cannot profess to being an expert...

Basically, you need everything that you find in the temporary install directory. This includes *.exe, *.bmp, *.cab, etc. Furthermore, if there is a subdirectory in this directory, I have not yet figured out how to make that work.

HERE is an example repackaging Sun Java's 1.4.1.04 InstallShield Package. It will differ slightly, both in the names of files selected, and the exact command line, but I think you will be able to transpose it to your application with little trouble.

As for pinning, the examples I gave are pages I put together, not threads. If you are interested, you can find all this linked from HERE

I wanted to do this example with the latest Sun Java, but the install (a few Mbs larger) contained an MSI installer!

GreenMachine:

As for pinning, the examples I gave are pages I put together, not threads. If you are interested, you can find all this linked from HERE

Thanks. That link does it for me...! Veeery useful.

And I for one appreciate your great work in regards to repackaging installation files with IExpress...!

I just realised that the seperate WMP9 exe downloadable from msfnforum.cjb.net is the same exe that's found in the WMP9 + MM2 Bundle.

Anyway, GM, I've noticed something - you quoted the long WMP9 command a bit differently to how I saw it in opk.inf.

Here's how your original quote went:

setup.exe /Q:A /R:N
mpsetup.exe /Q:A /R:N /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /NoPID /DisallowSystemRestore"

And here's the section I saw in opk.inf:

[run.presetup]
setup.exe /Q:A /R:N
"mpsetup.exe /Q:A /R:N /c:""setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /NoPID /DisallowSystemRestore"""

Why is the original line double quoted above? It confuses me a bit. Does your line work fine?

@Marztabator: The bottom line is the same as the top line, except that it has been wrapped in quotes for the .inf file from which you copied it. When you wrap a string in quotes, and that string already has quotes in it, you double those quotes. In this way when parsed the interpreter knows that this represents a quote in the string, and not the end of the string. My line works fine.

@willpantin: Thanks!

Just saw this thread, downloaded the WMP9 opk from the cjb site and wanted to know what exactly each thing in the command line does. Most importantly is the /c: (..../R:N /c: "setup_wm....). I dual boot XP and 98 and my XP partition is D: so do I have anything to worry about?