Can't uninstall programs in 98SE

denzilla

I have one 98SE machine that won't allow me to uninstall anything from add/remove or from attempting to execute the program's uninstaller. When I try, nothing happens. The computer still responds, but the uninstaller never starts. No spyware/Virus infections found and installs go normally. Any ideas?

I've tried uninstalling Ooo, Firefox and some games.

what version of Firefox? If you're trying to remove Firefox 1.5.x under Win98se, please read this Bugzilla thread:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=338752

Firefox versions 1.5.0.2 to 1.5.0.11 (and the upcoming 1.5.0.12) have buggy uninstallers for Win9xME systems and simply do nothing; had to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to shut down the uninstal.exe file for Firefox 1.5.x under Win98/ME

for Firefox 2.0, the uninstaller should work under Win98/ME

also, what kind of games are you trying to remove?

Edited by erpdude8

Firefox 2.0.0.3 can be removed by double-clicking on the HELPER.EXE file from the \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\uninstall\ folder instead of doing it from Add/Remove programs

Games from the MSN Gaming Zone? try re-installing them and then un-install them.

• 2 weeks later...

hurm.. hey all, i got the same problem.... the weird thing is.. my add/remove program software list is missing, but the software still installed, where has been goes all my software list in add/remove program?

when i open the registry editor i found all my unistall key string is missing [maybe somebody deleted it]

how to restored the installed software back to the add/remove programs?

*using 98SE upgrade to RP7

hurm.. hey all, i got the same problem.... the weird thing is.. my add/remove program software list is missing, but the software still installed, where has been goes all my software list in add/remove program?

when i open the registry editor i found all my unistall key string is missing [maybe somebody deleted it]

how to restored the installed software back to the add/remove programs?

*using 98SE upgrade to RP7

only way is to re-install ALL your programs (even if they are already installed) so that they will be listed in Add/Remove programs

• 5 weeks later...