Contemplating upgrading to N

Nakatomi2010

I'm running Windows Home Server on my server and was thinking about upgrading its storage from 160GB to 800GB to act as a reasonable backup of my media center PC which I've currently got 1TB of storage on it and am constantly thinking about backups, especially knowing that hardware just fails... My biggest issue is that the machine IS wireless, on Wireless G, with an average transfer rate of 24mbps... I'm looking to boost the speed up and was contemplating going to Wireless N... My biggest concern is backwards compatibility, my wife's laptop uses wireless G... I know that wireless G is backwards compatible by bumping the entire network to B speeds if a B device conncets, but I don't want my N network to bump down to G if my wifes laptop connects, which it's always connected wirelessly....

Does Wireless N operate the same way? If a G, or B (My PDA is B) device connects, does the entire thing bump down to the fastest speed of the slowest device?

So you're aware, in case you were curious... I bought the WRT350N and the WMP300N, combined they operated at around 162mbps, while my other G devices all connect at 54mbps, so all in all, G does not slow down the network speeds.... better than when G started out