Replace domain controller

I believe it holds all the FSMO roles. It has DHCP, DNS but no WINS.

I think the only part I don't understand is the FSMO roles. I am currently studying to attain my MCSE, but I haven't gotten that far yet. I am familiar with DHCP, DNS, but not the Active Directory part.

Edited by aresgodofwar

I believe it holds all the FSMO roles. It has DHCP, DNS but no WINS.

I think the only part I don't understand is the FSMO roles. I am currently studying to attain my MCSE, but I haven't gotten that far yet. I am familiar with DHCP, DNS, but not the Active Directory part.

This might help How to view and transfer FSMO roles in Windows Server 2003

(Some of those tests can be a bear so...)

Good luck on your studies!

To be honest I personally prefer doing a replacment rather than an upgrade. For one it gives you the opportunity to fix things that may have been setup wrong on the original server. It also lets you run them side-by-side so that you don't have to demote/shutdown the old server until you're sure things are right with the new one. And lastly I just don't like doing upgrade installs. :)

Transfering the FSMO roles isn't that difficult, you just have to make sure you follow all of the steps. The hardest thing you'll have to deal with is your DHCP server. Even that configuration can be backed up from the older server and restored on the new one.

I am not upgrading. I wish it was that easy. This is going to be a completely new machine. That is why I'm not completely sure what

steps I will need to take.

You need to build a new server, and once configured with correct IP/DNS/maybe WINS information for your domain, dcpromo it to be a domain controller. Make the new server a global catalog server, and wait a few hours. Monitor the FRS logs to make sure replication is occurring properly, and then use ntdsutil to transfer the 5 FSMO roles to the new DC. Again, wait a few hours and monitor the FRS logs to make sure replication is still occurring properly. Once you're sure everything is ok on the domain, you can dcpromo the Win2K server down to a member server, and perhaps raise the domain functional level once that is complete (and again, wait a few hours to make sure everything is ok) to Windows 2003 functional level for the domain and forest.

dammit, Cluberti beat me to this one, just follow his steps that what i did when i did this, there are also some very good articles from MS on this.

Also you didnt mention if these are just standard 200 and standard 2003? i assume they are. If so everything should go fine :)

good luck :thumbup

• 3 weeks later...