Iexpress.exe

Could anyone fill me in on how to use this tool? I'm aware people have used this to get applications using MSI such as .Net Framework 1.1 and MSN Messenger 6 to be installed via svcpack.inf.

I was just writing up a 1-2-3. Should post it this evening ... unless someone beats me to it.

I'm aware people have used this to get applications using MSI such as .Net Framework 1.1 and MSN Messenger 6 to be installed via svcpack.inf.
(Hmmm who would you be alluding to ... !)

I decided to go the lazy route, and did a screenshot show for repackaging DotNet to a silent, switchless installation. You should be able to adapt it to fit your needs/special cases. I must note, however, that I repackaged three .msi installers - Windows Messenger 5, Journal Viewer and DotNet - and DotNet was the only one able to install from the SVCPACK.INF file: the others seem to need the shell. MS does say that .msi installations should be done from GuiRunOnce, and both Windows Messenger and Journal Viewer work fine from there.

Look HERE

Excellent, that clears up the confusion on what I had to put in the "Install Program to Launch" bit.

You mentioned that WM5 cannot be installed, so I'll go try MSN6 repackaged.

On a side note, for kicks I ran Setupdl.exe /Q:A /R:N (that's MSNM6) yesterday in svcpack.inf which wasn't quiet obviously, so I went through the installation manually, then MSN Messenger opened. (didn't have time to try and sign in though) Anyway, it was kinda amusing to see MSN Messenger in a setup environment. :)

Where can one get this Iexpress
undocumented program, just type iexpress.
You mentioned that WM5 cannot be installed, so I'll go try MSN6 repackaged.

Messenger 5 is banned, see betas intercom

Could anyone fill me in on how to use this tool? I'm aware people have used this to get applications using MSI such as .Net Framework 1.1 and MSN Messenger 6 to be installed via svcpack.inf.

I prefer to use winrar, 'cause you have full control and more options, like overwrite, delete something, works in svcpack.inf and many more...

It is the Windows Messenger .MSI that prevents installation from SVCPACK.INF, not IEXPRESS. It won't work with WinRAR either. Silly me, I went to all the trouble to use V 5, as I thought it was the version that would continue to work. Thanks (kinda...) for the tip. Does this mean that Windows Messenger is history, or is there a newer version that will continue to work?

I'm sure WinRAR is al least as good, but this meets my needs fine. Free and already installed as well.

EDIT: After re-reading above link, Windows Messenger BELOW 4.7 will not work, and this is 5.0.

EDIT: Wooh, too fast4me :)

@GreenMachine

You can read the whole story at eweek

AFAIC, you can use Version5.

MS says:

Windows 98/ME/2000/XP

If you are using Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 or Windows XP operating systems, you need to run MSN Messenger version 5.0 or later.  To check your version of MSN Messenger click Help, and then click About in the main window.

For now...

But tomorrow ???

My choice is Version6 with MessengerPlus.

Thanks, SideSpike.

IExpress just repackages and calls designated programs: it does not matter whether it is MS or not, .MSI or other. If you can do a silent install from a command line (not all .MSI installers allow this), you can do it like this. The main advantage is that you may call more than one command (installation command and post installation command), and that you may include the switches in the package, so the package can be called without any switches. And again, there are other programs that do the same (WinZip, WinRAR, etc.), but this one is free, installed with XP, and fairly easy to use.

• 4 weeks later...