Limited connectivity Local Area Connection

WinXp Sp2.

I have 2 computers and they are connected using a Netgear 5-port sensing hub. Internet connection through a Westell 6100 DSL modem. The modem has been configure to the bridge mode.

I can connect to the internet in this mode and everything works fine.

But I have 2 sets of network connection icons in the task bar. One of the icon has a yellow triangluar with an exclamition port in it. If I check the status it says it has Limited or no connectivity.

Why is this icon displaying this status??

Ok, so the icon is displayed on both systems? Do you have more than one network adapter on either of the systems? Do you have a wireless card on either system? Can you post up a diagram of your physical or logical topology?

Edited by CptMurphy

Ok, so the icon is displayed on both systems? Do you have more than one network adapter on either of the systems? Do you have a wireless card on either system? Can you post up a diagram of your physical or logical topology?

yes the icon is displayed on both computers.

No there is only one network card or built in card per computer.

Here is a diagram, my drawning skill are not great. Hope this ok.

networksetupyz3.th.jpg

In both case the icon Status name "Local area connection" . I have tried using the Repair but it did not fix it

They both have

Physical address

IP address

SubNet Mask

DNS Server

Both do not have

Default Gateway

Wins server

The second network icon with out the exclamation point is my network connect for my DSL connection.

The DSL icon has

Device Name WAN Miniport

Device type : PPPoE

Server Type : PPP

Transports: TCP/IP

Authentication: PAP

Compression: None

PPP mulitiling frame: off

Server IP address: xx.xx.1.1 ( address present but not posting)

Client IP address: xx.xx.xxx.xx ( address present but not posting)

If I disable the network with the exclamation point I loss the connection to the internet.

Ok enough information??

I think I can answer this without any more info. Your ISP is only giving out one IP address. You can't have two systems connect on one IP address unless it's natted.

Here's one of the two possible topologies you can use. topologyum0.jpg

So basically, you can either buy a router, connect the modem to the router, the pc's to the router, and then have the router be the DHCP server.

OR

You can buy a second network card, put it into one of the systems. Connect the modem to one card, connect the other card to the hub. Configure both a static IP scheme on the INTERNAL portion of your lan. On the second system have, set the default gateway to the first system via the internal IP address.

So on the card that you have connected to the lan, you can assign it an IP address of 192.168.1.10; on the second system, you can assign that 192.168.1.11. Set the default gateway on the second system to be 192.168.1.11.

Edited by CptMurphy