Vista x64 and RDP

Jito463

Ok, so I'm trying to remote desktop into a Windows Server 2003 domain server using Vista Ultimate x64. I had some initial problems setting up the login for the correct domain, but that's been rectified. However, I still have a problem that I can't seem to resolve. I've got our network printer setup on my computer and it works fine from Windows. But if I connect through RDP to the server, the printer isn't carried over, even though I checked the option to bring local printers to the remote desktop. I know in XP and 2000 I had to edit HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\Default\AddIns\RDPDR and add a FilterQueueType key to make the remote session see my printer. I tried to create that same key under Vista, but it didn't fix the problem. Any suggestions?

Edited by Jito463

The printer is an HP LaserJet 1300 networked through a JetDirect. All our computers here at work are connected to our server through a VPN firewall. None of our computers are actually "on the domain", but they are on the same network as the domain server through the VPN.

*EDIT*

After checking the XP computers, I discovered that we have to run the PCL6 drivers in order for the printer to work through RDP. However, the only option I have for Vista and this printer is the PCL5 drivers. I wonder if this isn't the problem.

Edited by Jito463

Doesn't look like that was the problem after all. I went back and looked for PCL6 drivers for Vista, and found them. But even after loading them up, it still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Hello

We are having a similar issue. there are 2 of us at our office using Vista Ultimate. one using 64-bit and the other 32-bit. the 32-bit laptop can connect to the printer fine but the 64-bit cannot access the ip address of the printer

Any assistance would be greately appreciated

Helen

• 1 month later...

@hchant

Your issue is a different one. You can't even connect to the printer. I can connect, but can't access it through RDP.

@all

I still haven't been able to find a solution to this. Is there no one who has come across this problem that has any ideas? Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this is still ongoing and I need to find a solution. Currently, I have to use another computer to actually print anything through Terminal Services.