Inserting an index entry into index $0 of file 25

paniclazar

I have Windows XP Pro installed on 250 Gig SATA WD HDD with two partitions formatted as NTFS; 30 Gb system disk C: and 220 Gb Data Partition (Disk D:). A week ago I've experienced strange problem with my Data Partition. During boot time there is scheduled CHKDSK on Disk D. Well, if I accept checking, the msg:

Inserting an index entry into index $0 of file 25 :(

its been repeating itself over and over again... If I abandon disk checking by bypassing scheduled job, my Disk D: is visible as well as all files on it. The only but very hard problem is that I cannot delete or move any single file stored on D: There I have 1 Gig of free space where I can do with new formed files all what I want (copy, move, delete etc...). New files are not locked or blocked.

Does anyone know what this might mean? What I can do to solve my problem? :unsure:

• 5 months later...

This is a NTFS problem. It’s seen when a user doesn’t have permission over the files.

To set the right permissions, open a CMD window and use the command CACLS. It will give you instructions how to use it.

Beware, you will do this on your own risk!

Moving this topic to the XP forum…

I have the same problem as u! Desperately need help to save my data...now cannot boot into Windows after the WINDOWS XP splash screen.

Ok here's what it is....I have a laptop, 3 partitions. Of which one of the partitions is the win XP.

I installed and then uninstalled FM07/08 because I felt it was too laggy (not right) and previously when I restarted my computer chkdsk auto-ran (for no apparent reason), and when I logged in, Zonealarm's program listings were wiped out.

I used system restore in safe mode to back Windows to a state about 1 week before, as it was stable at that time. (Safe mode cos I cannot go into Windows successfully, apparently services.exe, lass.exe got problems??! Some indexing thing I think)

However, after system restore was done and I successfully booted into Windows, I restarted the computer to check if all was right.

(AND THIS IS WHERE IT ALL STARTED)

chkdsk ran (again), and I was stunned. It did 3 layers of checks, by deleting some indexes in the file (have 6 numbers, whole long list), and then adding a index $0 to file 25 (dunno what it means! but there was a pretty long listing).

And there were NUMEROUS changes to the file system apparently because the orphaned files went to another file.

So I thought it was ok, chkdsk auto-restart, and now after the splash screen I cannot even go into windows logon. It is just...BLANK.

Any help? I need my data, and IBM said they can only give a recovery CD to wipe my hdd... -.-

1) How to recover my data?

2) Should I just format the current XP drive and install a new clean setup of Windows? (I dun really like the idea...)

3) Would the other 2 partitions be ok?

1) How to recover my data?

2) Should I just format the current XP drive and install a new clean setup of Windows? (I dun really like the idea...)

3) Would the other 2 partitions be ok?

I would do the following:

The other 2 partitions should be okay, if the files were not saved under the user directory, then you should be able to copy those files from the system partition (C: i presume) to another partition but you have to do this as a second/slave drive in another computer.

If that doesn’t help, format the hard disk and install a fresh XP. After that install all the drivers as usual. Use R-studio or similar program to recover the deleted data with wildcards like *.DOC for example.

Don't Worry .. Be Happy!!!

:whistle:

I had same problem and I just googled and found the solution. you don't need to format or some superman shows ...

go to Control Pannel ->Administrator Tools ->Services and disable Indexing Services ( by double click on it and choosing "disable" in Startup Type)

you don't need this unless you use the Search feature every 10 secs :(

it's a very bad idea to interupt chkdsk!

boot into SAFE MODE and use RUN->CMD->chkdsk /f

and leave it alone until done.

whatever is left is good data and the filesystem is consistent.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-4...phan-Files.html

I did the same but Not in safe mode ... I just closed explorer and other programs to provide using my F: partition (Cause my F: partition had problem) and in Run Command I Typed CHKDSK f: /f

Good Luck :thumbup

Edited by Mohammad2020