Unable to format hard drive with Nlite Disc

apobull

After configuring Nlite with the various hotfixes, settings, etc that I wanted for XP and creating / burning the ISO file, I attempted to boot from CD. While I am able to boot fine, once I get to the setup screen where a hard drive format occurs, the process fails almost immediately noting there is either not enough memory or some corrupted files on the disc. I am guessing the latter since a fresh XP CD gets by this step just fine. I tried burning 2 different CD's but it didn't help. Can anyone shed any light on potential problems, etc as I'm somewhat baffled at the moment.

Thanks

Edited by apobull

I have tried reslimming a CD twice using our corporate version of XP SP2. I'll try again without making many many config changes to see if that makes a difference. I do get a blue screen but not the BSOD. It simply notes there isn't enough memory to complete the operation or that some of the files are corrupted.

do you have an oem disk somewhere?

what version of xp are you trying to install,

how much space is on the harddrive your trying to install it on, and how much ram, (is open)

could yourhdd be full? so it can't copy the loading setup files?

Edited by techywiz2007

I'm using the disc from our MSDN collection but do have a handful of Dell OEM disks that I could possibly use. I am trying to install XP SP2 Pro. The drive is 40 GB in size and is not full. During setup, I deleted the existing partitions, created a new single partition, and attempted to format it, which fails. The system also has 1 GB of RAM.

The system in question is a Dell Optiplex SX280. The hard disk is a SATA disk, which is recognized. I did include some drivers (NIC, etc) but nothing explicitly for the disk (which again was recognized). The source CD I'm using is the MSDN CD, which I'm able to install with no problems. Only when I have attempted to use Nlite have I run into problems. I tried creating a 3rd copy to no avail. The exact error message is: "Setup cannot format the partition. Your computer may not have enough memory to perform this operation or you Windows XP CDROM may contain some corrupted files."

i have the xp pro oem files, i copied them to a directory on my laptop cause i'm using nlite all the time, if you want i can try to email them to you as long as you have a valid license

Edited by techywiz2007

mine is oem xp pro sp2, and i'll throw in most of all the microsoft updates, (is it possible to email an iso? i'll make one for you if i can, just specify how you want it configged, and i'll process and create an iso for you,

or i could just send you the oem directory, (sp2, but no updates, you'll have to process those with all your drivers again)

Edited by techywiz2007

If the MSDN disk was corrupted though, I would have expected my attempt to boot from / install directly from it to fail as well; however, I'm able to format the drive without any problems when booting directly off the MSDN CD. That said, I'll see if I can locate an alternative copy to use and see if I have any better luck there

That said, I'll see if I can locate an alternative copy to use and see if I have any better luck there

want me to send you one?

if you have a license, i'll send you the iso, or the directory so you can make your own iso with it configged with your drivers

i just used it yesterday, and also this morning for integrating my sata drivers and all the updates, and it works fine, no problems

Edited by techywiz2007

There is an option in nLite to get round exactly this problem. It is on the very last screen before you ask it to start the process - the screen that has two tabs and a whole bunch of options listed, one of which is to include the config files on the CD for example. Maybe someone else can help with describing it better than me but it is in there for sure.