Windows 2000 or Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs?

Hi all!

I want my PC to run as fast as possible. :P

Since Windows XP/Vista use too much resources and Windows 95/98/Me do not support my drivers/programs I have the choice between Windows 2000 and Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs.

I would like to know which operating system uses less resources (in general, independent of my actual CPU and RAM) so that most of the resources can be used by my programs.

I do not need a colored GUI or any visual effects which means that I would use the classic theme and start menu in case of WinFLP.

Which version of Windows do you recommend?

Thank you!

Put aside the tweaked XP, along the version back, the remaining options would be Win2K(NT5.0), NT4.0.

If you don't need FAT32, Plug&play, DirectX, and some GUI improvements. (Sorry can't recall the exact name of those stuff.) NT 4.0 would be also a great choice.

In fact, NT3.0 is the first version of microsoft window NT series. It matured at NT4.0, and at the

same time received great acceptance, beat down IBM OS/2 at the business market gradually.

As for Win2K, from NT4.0 to NT5.0 (Win2K), it took Micrsoft 5 years to develop and test, and already served on the market for almost 7 years. In my mind, it's still the most reliable and proved OS.

Thanks to the hardware development these years, Win2K can fly like an eagle in any recent PC.

Unless your PC is really old, like 486 or early P4 with rather limited RAM (NT4.0 runs fast on those models), Win2K is the best choice.

With tweak like disable unnecessary services and registry hack, both perfromance and security can be further enhanced. ^___^

Hi all!

I want my PC to run as fast as possible. :P

Since Windows XP/Vista use too much resources and Windows 95/98/Me do not support my drivers/programs I have the choice between Windows 2000 and Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs.

I would like to know which operating system uses less resources (in general, independent of my actual CPU and RAM) so that most of the resources can be used by my programs.

I do not need a colored GUI or any visual effects which means that I would use the classic theme and start menu in case of WinFLP.

Which version of Windows do you recommend?

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

win2k vs tweaked XP.

Win2K loses. I installed them on a laptop. Pentium 2 300mhz with 64mb ram, and some cheap one meg grahics chipset. XP ran decent.

Win2k not so much.

Now a tweaked Win2K vs XP..... :thumbup

Used nLite to tweak.