AMD vs Intel...

XL-DJK

Intel or AMD Poll  

40 members have voted

1. 1. SHould I go Intel or AMD for my next Mobo?

• Intel
    • AMD

an e6600 for $290? :blink: who the hell pays that much?

now this is more like it! :yes:

@XL-DJK95355

if cheap is the idea, go for an am2 board and a 3600 brisbane core...

if performance and upradability are more important, go core 2 duo, anything that's a conroe core with 4mb L2 cache...

Edited by joll69

AMD systems have been shut out from upgrades, with the transition from S754 to S939 to AM2.

Don't forget AM2+.

Upgrading? so you exchange only your CPU?

Naa, most people will exchange there mobo with the CPU

Most enthusiasts upgrade that way...not most people. I had an old 440BX Slot1 motherboard that went through four CPUs before I finally retired the motherboard. I have a Socket 478 motherboard that's been through at least three CPUs.

an e6600 for $290? :blink: who the hell pays that much?

$290 Canadian.

At any rate, non-US prices are almost always higher when you translate the dollar amounts. I know that Canadian prices are typically quite a bit higher than what we pay in the states. Personally, I think it's outrageous but it's been that way for quite some time.

Most enthusiasts upgrade that way...not most people. I had an old 440BX Slot1 motherboard that went through four CPUs before I finally retired the motherboard. I have a Socket 478 motherboard that's been through at least three CPUs.

Well, you are one of few I think.

What I see is that people, non-enthusiasts, buy a system and use it for 2 or 3 years or so, then they start to complain about the speed. In 2 to 3 years hardware changes a lot as you know and there for most people will sell there complete system or just the motherboard/CPU/RAM combination while it´s still worth something. After that they buy there new system, or partly for just a few bucks more.

Definitely not one of few. The enthusiast market may help to drive where some hardware advances go with regards to PC's, but that actual market is VERY small in the grand scheme of things. That's why when NVIDIA makes a new "super mega ultra high-end special edition" card they only run about 1000 or so of them. It's not because it's "special edition", it's because they know the purchase market will be small. It's also why AMD/ATI decided it wasn't cost effective to make an XTX version of the new 2900 series cards (at least that's their excuse).

Not so, he's not one of few.

I myself ALWAYS purchase motherboards using the consideration of how long I can upgrade using the same motherboard. Using the same motherboard I have now, I've changed CPUs twice, video cards three times, hard drives three times and memory twice. All because I took the time to research and the cost needed to buy the best motherboard available for future upgradeability support available at the time I bought it.

Edited by jcarle

• 1 month later...

Nice points guys, nice points.......and yeah, the dollar ratio sucks but hey, what can you do? I guess I can always get my buddy in Springfield, MI to grab one for me then drive up here and pay me a visit for a week or 2 :lol:

Edited by XL-DJK95355

I have a quick question. It's 1 in the morning so I hope it will make sence, was pretty tired when I read all these articles, which are, never the less, very interesting.

In an article it said that you can pump up the E6420 from 1066mhz to 1333mhz with the new P35 motherboard. But I have seen other motherboards as well which can support 1333mhz such as: this

Can you increase the FBS from 1066mhz to 1333mhz with this motherboard? I mean it supports 1333mhz as well as the P35 but it's less than double the price.

I voted for AMD because I decided to pick one at random rather than showing bias or favoritism. That's my excuse. Cheers.

My friend, who chooses to remain anonymous, states that within that particular price range, the price : performance ratio between Intel and AMD is nearly identical.

This is Jeremy the messenger signing off...

:lol:

Edited by Jeremy

I'm a fan of AMD and I really hope they get their A game back for the next year... but this round is Intel's all the way.

I'd get one of their CPUs. Maybe slightly less bang for buck initially... but when you consider the fact that they require less cooling since they use less energy, draw less from your PSU so your room doesn't get as hot and the inside of your case... turns out the Intel is better bang for buck.

Plus they regularly slash prices so if its too pricey, wait a month.