Opteron Overclock

Maleko

I deceided to go for a cheaper option of an upgrade and went for an Dual Core Opteron 175, from an Athlon 3700+

Been playing with clock speeds now and went from stock:

cpuz_opteron_default.jpg

To eventually this:

cpuz_opteron_250.jpg

Which has gained me 1000 points in 3Dmark06 CPU score, and is running very stable so far!

So just wondered your view on this.

The Opterons overclock nicely. My 185 will do 3Ghz with air cooling and I can get it up to 3.3 with water cooling and I really haven't played with many of the settings. I'm sure I could get it higher but I'm quite satisfied with where it stands now.

sure you cant go higher?

my 160 is at 2600 1.45v, i got a crappy one but its also a much older one..

have you tried going over 250mhz bus speed? if you have and you keep getting problems, there was something i had to change in my BIOS for that, cant quite remember what it was tho. i basically stopped overclocking when my voltage wouldnt make a difference anymore.

Edited by ripken204

Im using the Zalman Aero Flower:

120606-006.jpg

I checked temps last night with hmonitor, and was getting between 46-49'c on idle.

And Memory temps were at 47'c

Need to check on load, so seems pretty high to me, but then i've never clcoked an opteron b4!

28 idle? never knew u get get so low! on air anyway :P

yeh, im using AS5.

well thats my cpu temp in the winter. right now im at ~32C. gpu 42C, 2 hdds both at ~33C.

thats what alot of 120m fans will do, i have them on med/low speeds and can barely hear them.

its prolly my heatsink also, i had to use soo much force to get it on that i cut my hand up pretty bad. the contact its making is prolly amazing compared to other heatsink ive but on mobos where its so simple to but them on, doesnt seem like theres much pressure at all with those.

Edited by ripken204

its prolly my heatsink also, i had to use soo much force to get it on that i cut my hand up pretty bad. the contact its making is prolly amazing compared to other heatsink ive but on mobos where its so simple to but them on, doesnt seem like theres much pressure at all with those.

The only problem with heatsinks like that is that once they're on, they stay on. We've nearly cracked two mobos at SPCR installing and removing heatsinks like the Ninja, Ultra120, and Andy.

The easiest big heatsink to install by far is the Zalman 9500/9700. They're so simple to install, even a dumb monkey could do it. And there's no guesswork either - they go only as far as they need to.