Novelty Request: Xp Install On A Mini-cd

Can a slimmed-down version of Windows XP Pro be put on a 210 megabyte Mini-CDR/CDRW? I know I can get the image to 338 megs using the pinned topic "Unattended Secret: Reducing Size Of Source", but I need to cut out another 120 megs to produce the desired result. Having an slipstreamed cd is not important for this venture: I simply need an XP-install cd I can carry around in my pocket. (I've been getting too many odd looks from people seeing a large circle in my pants :) ) I have no need for any other sweet options such as multi-os's or silent app installs, although an unattended install would be nice. The cd would only need to be English, if that makes a difference.

Any help would be much appreciated, as would any speculation.

Why not winpe? It's only 100-150 megs. With winpe you have network access, web access, a limited win32 api, a command prompt,etc.

And that's what winpe, just look at the switch to run winpe, it's -minint

-gosh

I thought of that, however, based on my experience with WinPE and considering I basically need the full OS install, it is not what I'm looking for. (By experience I mean booting up and seeing that there's no explorer.exe) I thought about using an explorer replacement such as Aston shell, but still it does not meet my criteria.

Another option I looked into was Windows XP Embedded. The problem with that was, as far as I know, it only works on the target computer you design for. I've heard rumors about "generic drivers" that allow you to run it on anything, but searching produced no results.

Then there was the theoretical hybrid XPEmbedded-WinPE approach; Build a stable, streamlined kernel using XP Embedded and somehow combine it with the run-on-all WinPE image. That wasn't my idea, and I haven't heard anything about it past speculation.

Long story short: I need a regular XP install divided in half. Pipe dream? Maybe. But hey if somebody knows something its worth asking.

No, a network share setup is not what I'm looking for. Is there any way to edit and remove drivers from the Drivers.cab file? It is 73 megs, and I'm sure not all of them are necessary. Most of the computers I would be dealing with don't have SCSI or tape drives or anything, so those drivers could go.

And with WinPE, don't you only have 24 hours to mess around? Or does the -minint command remove that?

if i told u, you can set this 24hour limit to 49days...
I would be impressed if it was an exact look-alike version of XP, with the full set of options normal XP Pro users have access too. I'm guessing you're talking about using TweakNT, a hacked explorer.exe (a pain) / or ERD commander, and just other utilities using Barts PE Builder 2.0.
Why dont u burn 400mb on two Mini-CDRW ?

As far as I know, the 2-cd guide only worked for putting apps on another cd, not parts of the XP install. I didn't read the guide too in-depth, though.

I'm confident there's a way to cut down the install cd even more. I mean hey, somebody got Windows 95 in 4.47 megs... Why not XP in 210?

ok i can not post here because it goes against the forum rules and i do not wish to be banned or flamed, the process is simple as running a file and patching certain files, no i am not talking of TweakNT at all.

what do you require exactly please be specific on this CD you speak of a 'FULL OS' please define this, winpe comes with network support and a internet browser can be added ie Opera with little fuss, media players arent supported because the sound API isnt available and there is no DirectX.

...arent supported because the sound API isnt available and there is no DirectX.

Those two words are the exact thing I'm trying to stay away from. What I need is a FULL version of Windows XP, just like the regular install. Well, not full exactly, there's a few things I can do without like SCSI support. I was just wondering if its do-able.

Windows PE Info:

WinPE is a tool based on Microsoft Windows® XP Professional that allows IT staff to build custom solutions that speed up deployment through automation so they spend less time and effort keeping desktops updated. WinPE can run Windows setup, scripts, and imaging applications.
Windows XP Embedded Info:
Windows XP Embedded is the embedded operating system delivering the power of the Windows operating system in componentized form to rapidly build reliable and advanced embedded devices.

Datalore -

The only thing that comes to my mind is to do a normal install onto a system then apply some thing like XPlite to cut the install down to next to nothing, then make a ghost image of the hard drive once your happy with it...then all you have to do is find some way of ether editing the ghost image to remove the hardware profile, or run some sort of script after you install the ghost image to make the needed changes.

Not much to go off of, but maybe doing some searching on the web will turn up some thing.

windows xp will never be cut down to less than 210mb use xplite remove all the features you can then your left with something less useful than winpe because you will have removed everything.

now here is my proposition

copy all you setup files to a harddrive, ie C:\i386 only remove the lang folder and the upgrade folders this about 380-400mb roughly now make the drive bootable ie SYS C: from a win98 bootdisk, make sure you can load smartdrv and then ghost the drive the image should be about 200mb roughly if you use compression.

try it and let me know, this is only soloution i can recommend now.