Vista 64bit doesn't see 4GB of RAM

moo2004

I couldn't find in the BIOS any option to turn on memory remapping in the BIOS...

I have enabled the PAE and disabled the DEP.

My CPU is Intel D820 2.8 GHz and my motherboard is chipset is Intel 945G

Does it support 4GM of RAM??

I couldn't find in the BIOS any option to turn on memory remapping in the BIOS...

Are you trying to enable PAE on an x64 build of Windows? Because PAE is a 32bit construct - you can't enable PAE on x64 (it isn't needed or supported). As to memory remapping, if you can't disable it, you're SOL. That memory is likely being reserved by the BIOS - try running msinfo32 to see what shows up as installed memory on the system. That might give you a clue as to what's happening - if the installed memory is significantly less than 4GB, you've got a BIOS issue with recognizing the full amount of RAM installed; if the installed memory is 4GB but available is significantly less, you need to find a way to reduce the amount of memory the BIOS reserves (not sure how to do that other than contacting the motherboard vendor or the PC manufacturer).

My CPU is Intel D820 2.8 GHz and my motherboard is chipset is Intel 945G

Does it support 4GM of RAM??

Based on the article #rootworm posted above...

For Windows Vista to use all 4 GB of memory on a computer that has 4 GB of memory installed, the computer must meet the following requirements:

• The chipset must support at least 8 GB of address space. Chipsets that have this capability include the following:

• Intel 975X

• Intel P965

• Intel 955X on Socket 775

With your chipset being (not listed) a 945 I'd have to guess no, it doesn't.

I'm running one of the Asus Commando Mboards with a 965 chipset. With remap off both Vista x64 & the BIOS show 3008MB RAM. With remap on memory shows correctly as 4096MB in both Vista and the BIOS.