XP Licensing & nComputing

Guest mee23

Guest mee23

I want to set up a small and simple Internet Cafe. I have found a product that appears to fit my need in nComputing's line of products. They sell kits that allow you to use the OS and computing power of one normal PC, then plug little terminal-like devices into the "server", either directly or via a network.

This way you can in effect have up to 10 workstations that provide the normal Windows experience but only the hardware costs of a single PC, plus the nComputing terminal gadgets. It also sounds like the management of this system would be easier than managing 10 individual PCs. Check their website for further details.

However, I was confused about how licensing would work in this situation, so I asked nComputing. This is what I got:

We cannot speak to Microsoft licensing questions because that is a legal agreement between you and Microsoft. If I were to suggest what EULA's to read as reference, I would start with the windows xp professional remote desktop device cal.

Now I am confused and suspicious - are they trying to hide something? They claim to have sold thousands of devices, but can't give me a straight answer about licensing? In your opinion, how would licensing work in this kind of situation? Do I need a Windows Server product with CALs and TCALs? Or will the standard XP Pro products do the trick?

Thanks!

• 8 months later...

Hello mee23 and others,

I have similar thoughts about use of Ncomputing solution in my cyber cafe.

Only cost cutting for equipment are a good reason to be interested in theire solution. Not to mention licences for the OS.

I use Antamedia gaming cafe software which can be set for use on this platform. I will set it at my cafe as soon i`m 100% sure about legal doubts that i have now.

I think the XP EULA is actually pretty clear on this - let's just say you are FAR better off purchasing a Server 2003 or Server 2008 license and a Terminal Services install and CALs to comply:

1.3 Device Connections. You may permit a maximum of ten (10) computers or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect to the Workstation Computer to utilize one or more of the following services of the Software: File Services, Print Services, Internet Information Services, Internet Connection Sharing and telephony services. The ten connection maximum includes any indirect connections made through "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools or aggregates connections. This ten connection maximum does not apply to other uses of the Software, such as synchronizing data between a Device and the Workstation Computer, provided only one user uses, accesses, displays or runs the Software at any one time. This Section 1.3 does not grant you rights to access a Workstation Computer Session from any Device. A "Session" means any use of the Software that enables functionality similar to that available to an end user who is interacting with the Workstation Computer through any combination of input, output and display peripherals.

1.4 Remote Desktop/Remote Assistance/NetMeeting. The Software contains Remote Desktop, Remote Assistance, and NetMeeting technologies that enable the Software or applications installed on the Workstation Computer (sometimes referred to as a host device) to be accessed remotely from other Devices. You may use the Software's Remote Desktop feature (or other software which provides similar functionality for a similar purpose) to access a Workstation Computer Session from any Device provided you acquire a separate Software license for that Device. As an exception to this rule, the person who is the single primary user of the Workstation Computer may access a Workstation Computer Session from any Device without acquiring an additional Software license for that Device. When you are using Remote Assistance or NetMeeting (or other software which provides similar functionality for a similar purpose) you may share a Session with other users without any limit on the number of Device connections and without acquiring additional licenses for the Software. For Microsoft and non-Microsoft applications, you should consult the license agreement accompanying the applicable software or contact the applicable licensor to determine whether use of the software with Remote Desktop, Remote Assistance, or NetMeeting is permitted without an additional license.