.htaccess issues

Hi,

I've been making a website for a group that uses Yahoo! Small Business web-hosting. Does anyone know of any way to edit the .htaccess file? I'm pretty sure there is one, but I can't seem to be able to find it, and it won't let me upload one. Also, is it possible to apply custom error 404 pages to a sub-domain? That would be nice, too. This has been bugging the heck out of me...

:hello:

it all depends on the web host. do you have ftp access? if so then you should easily be able to find the .htaccess file in there. my webhost allows me to edit my .htaccess files and 404 page, my 404 page edit is through a control panel, so either check in there or just make your own and upload it.

Yes, I have FTP access, but I can't make anything called .htaccess on my local computer, I get an error telling me I must enter a file name. If I upload a text document to the server and try to rename it to .htaccess, it says

Response: 550 Permission denied on server. You are restricted to your account.

So I guess it can't be done. Oh well, thanks anyway.

Windows doesn't lke that filename but basically it is a text file with instructions inside it. You can have one in every folder - it doesn't have to be just the root folder. If you have ftp access then you have access to the root folder of your account and that is certtainly below the folder with your web files (pub_html or similar). So, you can create the file and just call it SecurityFile.txt, upload it then change the name through your Control Panel on site to . htaccess and bob's your uncle.

Custom 404 pages are also quite standard and not hard to implement. You can even define that in you htaccess file among other things.

From the Yahoo Small Business Web Hosting help glossary:

.htaccess (Hypertext Access)

The name .htaccess refers to the main configuration file for Apache, a popular open-source HTTP server. The .htaccess file can be used to create custom error pages and web page redirects, set up password protection, enable SSI, and more. Yahoo! does not currently allow you to upload .htaccess files to your account. For other customization options, we recommend the Custom Error Pages and password-protection features available in your Web Hosting Control Panel.

:(

The name .htaccess refers to the main configuration file for Apache, a popular open-source HTTP server. The .htaccess file can be used to create custom error pages and web page redirects, set up password protection, enable SSI, and more. Yahoo! does not currently allow you to upload .htaccess files to your account. For other customization options, we recommend the Custom Error Pages and password-protection features available in your Web Hosting Control Panel.

You should suggest to this group of people to switch to a real hosting company. The board has tons of links to them, including MSFN Hosting.

i told you its in the control panel, do you not have one?

Yes I know about the one in the control panel but I want to have a different one for a certain sub-folder. Well, they want me to anyhow. Yeah, I'm starting to realize that Yahoo hosting isn't very good at all. Unfortunately, I don't make the choice. I will suggest to them though that they go for real hosting.

lol, good idea. my webhost allows the creation of .htaccess folders, did you try doing it thru an ftp program?
Yes, I have FTP access, but I can't make anything called .htaccess on my local computer, I get an error telling me I must enter a file name. If I upload a text document to the server and try to rename it to .htaccess, it says
Response: 550 Permission denied on server. You are restricted to your account.

So I guess it can't be done. Oh well, thanks anyway.

Yes, I tried with FTP. Where do you get your hosting?

http://www.anhosting.com/

been using it for a couple months now. i read around lots of review sites and this host was just unebnatable. the whole package is just insane for the small price. i see no possible way for me to come anywhere close to using all of my space or bandwidth.

there are also some coupons around on google for 3 free months..

Edited by ripken204

http://www.anhosting.com/

been using it for a couple months now. i read around lots of review sites and this host was just unebnatable. the whole package is just insane for the small price. i see no possible way for me to come anywhere close to using all of my space or bandwidth.

there are also some coupons around on google for 3 free months..

Wow, that looks great! I will research that one more and maybe suggest it. Do you happen to have any links to those coupons... :whistle:

Just out of curiosity ripken - where's your website? :P

Yeah! Where is it? :P I'd like to see all your experience at work, since you seem to be pretty good at web development from what I see on your posts.

Edited by Idontwantspam

My first reactions:

• Oh dear... frames. :blink:
  • Did you make the whole thing yourself or was it an issue of them saying "OK, go and make it like this"?
  • Also, see this. :whistle:
  • The error 404 page is very bare. I think it needs work.

I guess it serves its purpose, but no offense, I don't think it's all that pretty. :whistle: Do you have a personal website?