Office 2007 + Sysprep

Gekko_uk

Hi,

I have a 40 computer network.

we run XP Pro on all connecting to a windows Server 2003 DC.

I had my tech make a sysprep image of our standard setup and ghost/blast it onto all the boxes.

This worked fine.

I then left him to plum them in and the users have been using them now for a week or two.

He then dropped into conversation he didnt understand why office wasnt complaining about the same serial being used on all the boxes?!

We have 40 x OEM Office 2007 Pro edition Licenses and 40 machines all bought at the same time.

But when making his standard image up he installed and activated Office 2007.

Hence the prep'ed image has it.

Now office update/windows update all runs ok but I am worried that down the line we will get hit with a an update that may spit the dummy and cause corruption etc.

Should I worry?

I have all the lic's but I am unsure what will happen in the future if anything.

I would rather not have to re-install/sysprep machines.

Any advice/comments?

Cheers

Gek

PS: Unsure if this was correct place to put this thread, but took a punt that it was better suited than in the W2k3 section.

Hi Gekko_uk,

I bet you don't need to worry any problem in future even you had 1,000 copies of Office 2007 in your domain.

There's no license count check in MS products. That's why.

But I don't meant you don't need to purchase licences from now on.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, are you sure?

As previously (couple of months ago) we had copies of Windows XP Pro suffer a similar fate with "geniuene windows advanatge" popups as we had the same License code accross a group (syspreped/ghosted versions)

Cheers

Andy

Hi Gekko_uk,

I bet you don't need to worry any problem in future even you had 1,000 copies of Office 2007 in your domain.

There's no license count check in MS products. That's why.

But I don't meant you don't need to purchase licences from now on.

Thanks

With the new licensing schemes MS DOES indeed keep track of them since 2003. Why else do you think you HAVE to go online to activate or activate over the phone?

Also since the release of the '07 products they are getting REALLY strict on # of activations!

Yes you will pop as being non-legit after a while.

As for the XP keys a lot of things cause false positives. And if it wasnt't a false positive you surely have gotten your serial out there for the world to see somehow.