I get locked out of windows (welcome screen)

graysky

I have two user accounts on this XP Pro SP2 machine (2 not counting the built-in administrator account). When both users are logged in and the welcome screen is presented, neither user can log back into the O/S. This only happens if one user account has "switched users" AND the other user logged in and allowed Windows to auto log out. Does that make sense?

When I try to log back in to either account, Windows just reports that the password entered is invalid. It's not true, I'm typing it correctly (no caps, etc.) I can't do the ctrl+alt+del several times to get the old style login box to come in as administrator; it just doesn't work. I can tell windows to shutdown/restart but it ALWAYS hangs and only displays a black underline cursor.

Anyone seen this before?

When I try to log back in to either account, Windows just reports that the password entered is invalid. It's not true, I'm typing it correctly (no caps, etc.)

Welcome screen does not revert to default keyboard like classic log on. Make sure none of the accounts changes the keyboard layout.

Actually... recently I am having the same exact issue!!! It is very annoying! I have all US Keyboard layouts (default)... However I have ~6 accounts on my system, and all but 1 have a password. As graysky pointed out, this seems to only happen when 1 user uses the "switch user" and another logs in and allows the system to auto logout... after this happens I have 2 choices.... logon to the account without a password..... or restart the system.

Please, any input would be great. This is a very annoying issue.

~Dave

@ponch - both users are using the default keyboard layout

@twig - yeah, this does suck :) Hopefully someone in here will have a solution; I have looked on google a about 30 minutes with no luck... you have tried?

I've seen this problem before... Two questions...

1. Do any of the users experiencing this problem have a username with a space in it? (example: John Doe instead of just John or john)

2. Did you use nLite before installing this particular build of Windows?

1. Do any of the users experiencing this problem have a username with a space in it? (example: John Doe instead of just John or john)

Thats a big NEG on both... this system wasn't built with nLite.... and has no spaces in the username(s). What are you thinking the issue could be?

~Dave

Thats a big NEG on both... this system wasn't built with nLite.... and has no spaces in the username(s). What are you thinking the issue could be?

~Dave

Could be a corrupted password file. The reason I asked the first question is because back in the day of XP 2600, I had several issues with usernames with spaces in them on a family computer. I would login to the computer using remote desktop and it would refuse to log me in and that somehow managed to corrupt the SAM file. No, it wasn't a virus. To make a long story short, I've never used usernames with spaces in then since then.

No on both both for me too... it seems to do this when I have a USB flash drive plugged into the machine but I can't be sure since it hasn't done it in a while and I've been careful about keeping the flash drive unplugged when not logged in...

@twig: you have a usb device plugged in?

Yeah, there's definitely something to having a USB flash drive connected. Usually run either speedfan or rightmark cpu monitor, both of which write log files. Whenever either of these is actively logging (log writes to the USB drive) and windows gets logged out, this happens:

-can't use ctrl+alt+del to invoke the administrator account

-windows refuses passwords to accounts

@twig: does your occur with a usb device plugged in?

Edited by graysky