Possible bad link on the Multiboot DVD site

Ryan_R

Thanks.

I finished building the ISO just before I had to leave. When I get home tonight I will see if it boots ok.

One query, the gui had it's own boot.iso file in the folder. I refernced it in one of the options (I'm guessing I should've pointed to the \cdsh\loader.bin file instead)

I downloaded the package again and replaced all the files, then I copied your script [above] and hex'ed the two .bin files (changing the /boot to /cdsh).

Back home now:

Booted the iso file in virtual pc and the error is CDBOOT: Couldn't find NTLDR

I'm going to play around with it again a bit more, but if you've got a walkthrough for the gui that'd be great.

Thanks.

I finished building the ISO just before I had to leave. When I get home tonight I will see if it boots ok.

One query, the gui had it's own boot.iso file in the folder. I refernced it in one of the options (I'm guessing I should've pointed to the \cdsh\loader.bin file instead)

I downloaded the package again and replaced all the files, then I copied your script [above] and hex'ed the two .bin files (changing the /boot to /cdsh).

The boot.bin file is a generic xp boot sector and yes you need to point CDImage to your loader.bin instead.

The only file you should have needed to hex is loader.bin to change the boot location from '/boot' to '/cdsh'.

The only file you should have needed to hex is loader.bin to change the boot location from '/boot' to '/cdsh'.

The boot sector for UBCD in Flyakites guide is in fact loader.bin from the CDShell package! ;)

Thanks.

What about your script not working? I used it exactly the way you posted it and when booting the it says straight away 'cls not found' (or something like that)

I'm sorry but I'm lost with this, I've never encountered such a problem. It's kind of weird that it should complain about the cls command but saying that it is the first command in the script.

Are you sure you haven't corrupted cdsh.bin with your hex editing antics?

My suggestion would be to start over (yet again) leaving everything where it should be, in the /boot folder. One step at a time!!!

• 2 weeks later...
So if you own a retail version of Vista you can use Chon’s method of modifying both of the x86 & x64 install.wim files to contain HOME BASIC x86 & x64, HOME PREMIUM x86 & x64, Business x86 & x64, and Ultimate x86 & x64 then replacing each install.wim file in your sources folders. This enables both versions to load x86 & x64, and furthermore enables you to optimize the Vista portion of the image even smaller. Like I said before in another post you need both x86 & x64 boot.wim if you ever need to make a recovery. You cannot recover or fix an x64 system with an x86 loader or vice versa.

Do you have a link to Chon's method - thanks. I have G:\sources\x86\sources\install.wim (4gig) and G:\sources\x64\sources\install.wim (4gig)

One thing that I've noticed about my Vista DVD is that:

A) It is in UDF format

B) "D:\" Properties reports that it's 4.37 gig

C) Copying everything over to my HDD reports that it's 8.5 gig

D) My LG Super Multi DVD burner can read the disk

E) A normal DVD reader (CD-RW combo) drive cannot read the disk (either because it can't read what apparently is a DL disk or because it doesn't have packet-writer software installed???)

I Will start this AIO-DVD project from scratch just with the older Windows versions first - testing them out one at a time. If you have any more helpful info or hints please let me know. If everything goes to plan, I would like to have the following on my AIO-DVD:

Win95

Win98se

WinME

Win 2K (pro and server)

Win XP Pro SP2

Windows Fundamentals for legacy PCs (FLP for short)

WinVista 32bit (x64 isn't really necessary at this stage)

Ultimate Boot CD for Windows

Acronis TrueImage

Norton Ghost

Thanks again

I saw Chon's guide and didn't get it completely - not sure if following it will save me any space (+ I already have all versions on one 8gb disk)

I finally have a semi-working aio dvd with 98se, ME, and XP on it (iso file + vir pc)

Unfortunately - running the disks doesn't work.

Booting 98se, I don't get to choose to boot to a prompt - it just starts setup in OEM (text) mode. It then asks me to insert the CD:

I also get an error booting from ME. Something to do with the HDD's not having FAT (all HDD's are un-partitioned and not formatted - virtual pc default) - do you know how I can get this working - issume it's to do with the boot images I took from my disks in IsoBuster. However - I tried booting from my physical ME CD and it appeared there wasn't even a boot sector on it - strange.

I'll start adding other images to the mix and see how successful I get.

post-119226-1180257068_thumb.jpg

I finally have a semi-working aio dvd with 98se, ME, and XP on it (iso file + vir pc)

Unfortunately - running the disks doesn't work.

Booting 98se, I don't get to choose to boot to a prompt - it just starts setup in OEM (text) mode. It then asks me to insert the CD:

I also get an error booting from ME. Something to do with the HDD's not having FAT (all HDD's are un-partitioned and not formatted - virtual pc default) - do you know how I can get this working - issume it's to do with the boot images I took from my disks in IsoBuster. However - I tried booting from my physical ME CD and it appeared there wasn't even a boot sector on it - strange.

Flyakite's guide only shows you how to execute setup.exe using a win98 boot disc, you still need to partition your hdd first.

Your best bet is to add a menu option in config.sys in your boot image. One to run setup and another to drop you to the command prompt so you can partition your disc.

-kof94

What's the best way to create a menu for Win98se?

I've extracted the .ima file using WinImage and can open config.sys in notepad - do you have anything I can enter that will boot exactly the same as if I had the real cd-rom

ie

[menu]

1. Start Windows 98se Setup

2. Command prompt with CD-ROM support

2. Command prompt without CD-ROM support

I can tell you one thing, I never managed to get Win9x to boot exactly like the original disc i.e. with auto-fdisk and format.

To be honest it's been a while since I messed with UA Win98 so I'm probably not the best person to ask anyway. Take a trip over to the Win9x forum and see what you can pick up, that's what I did.

Soporific has some very good UA guides and projects that you might want to check out.

Here's two threads in particular:

The Unattended Boot CD for Windows 98/98se

Windows 98 Seven Years Later Edition Boot CD

Good luck ;)

Edited by kof94

Thanks - I'll look into it.

The main thing is that the sector's boot to a prompt and give me the A:\>

Normally I'd goto D:\Win98 and run setup but of course D:\ doesn't work, nor can I find/read the contents of the AIODVD root.

After setting up a FAT32 partition it seems that the WinME disk works ok. I was also surprised to see that Win95 boots to a prompt - I didn't think it was bootable.

Apart from Win98, I'm having problems booting Windows FLP and Acronis TrueImage.

Then after that I'll be looking at Vista 32bit.