BartPE and nero serial

N30M0D

Hello, i don't know if it's the right section. If it's not I apologize.

I have a BartPE iso and i need to update nero but the old serial is not recognized and when nero starts ask me for it. So i need to put the new one. I know the serial is stored in i386/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SOFTWARE but if I find it and replace it I get an error in virtualpc:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry file failure}

The registry cannot load the hive (file):

systemroot/system32/config/SOFTWARE/

or its log or alternate.

It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

why should i have broken the checksum?

I have only replaced the old code... all should work :}

If is not possible to edit that file can i register it on-the-fly when nero.cmd is running?

Thanks

Edited by N30M0D

It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Since a CD-ROM (and the .iso file is mounted as CD-ROM) is READ ONLY, I think that the reason is rather obvious. :whistle:

You need to re-build the .iso with pebuilder with a modified registration number in the Registry.

Other options include hexediting the .iso file (tricky)

Or extracting from the .iso the Registry Hive, modify it after having mounted it on running Registry, then unload it and write it back to the .iso, you will need a Comercial program like Ultraiso, Isobuster or similar ones to be able to edit the .iso, though.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

thank you jaclaz but, as u can read above, i've done just that.... I've extracted the file, modified it and then edited the iso with ultraiso but i get that error when run the iso with virtualpc. I can't rebuild the iso, i need to change the serial in some way.

Edited by N30M0D

You mean you tried editing a Registry hive in Notepad? woot.gif

I have to agree that's gotta be painful :blink: .

Incidentally, you probably broke the check sum because you saved your modified file with the wrong encoding. If you don't know what I'm talking about, when you go to 'Save As' you will see the drop-down box for encoding!

Edited by kof94