Intel Xeon X5355 vs Intel QX6700

ideas

they are basically the same cpu. one is for servers and one is for workstations, they each have their own special features. but they really are the same. do you want a server or a desktop? i would go for the QX6700 only because it is meant for doing basically anything. unless you want it primarily as a server, get the QX6700.

they are basically the same cpu. one is for servers and one is for workstations, they each have their own special features. but they really are the same. do you want a server or a desktop? i would go for the QX6700 only because it is meant for doing basically anything. unless you want it primarily as a server, get the QX6700.

Not again. How many times do we have to go over this? Research! They are NOT the same CPU, not even close.

hi

am trying to find out which CPU can handle more Virtual Machines running on 1 computer

The Intel Xeon X5355 has a 1333MHz FSB, features uses less power at a TDP of 120W and uses lower voltage at 1.2V maximum. The Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 has a 1066MHz FSB, a TDP of 130W and a maximum voltage 1.372V.

That goes without mentioning that the Xeon platform also supports things that you simply won't usually find in the mainstream market, such as PCI-X support and motherboards that support more then easily 16GB+ of memory.

in a nutshell:

Xeon=Better.

faster FSB [in some cases]

larger L2 Cache [a big plus]

Faster cores [sometimes]

Server cores are built for massive beatings, Workstation cores are built to work with less overall access, however the ability to focus more power to where its needed [such as a CAD or other program, rather than more than one place at one time]

anyone who's used a server and then a workstation would tell the difference.

This may not be a factor for you, but keep in mind that there is a significant difference in the cost of memory between the two with the Xeon requiring the more expensive, naturally. If you're keen on having more than 4GB (sometimes 8GB) which is the limit with most 775 motherboards, then you'll want to look at the Xeon. If I could afford all the hardware, I would love to work on one!

With the recent drop in RAM costs, this may now be more affordable than it was only just a few weeks ago. I've been seeing 1GB prices under $40 here for the first time.

The chipsets between the two CPUs are engineered completely different as well. Not to mention that you can get dual socket Xeon motherboards. I'm not sure about the quad-core Xeon CPUs, but I know that on the dual-core Xeons they managed to leave hypterthreading in as well. That's probably not a big deal, but more and more applications can take advantage of it now. There's also rumor that it's going to make a comeback on the desktop as well.

We just recently got a new Quad Dual-Core Xeon (that's four CPUs that are dual-core for those counting). I turned on hyperthreading just for the heck of it. Seeing 16 CPUs made my day... :)

post-31126-1178807407_thumb.jpg

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

The chipsets between the two CPUs are engineered completely different as well. Not to mention that you can get dual socket Xeon motherboards. I'm not sure about the quad-core Xeon CPUs, but I know that on the dual-core Xeons they managed to leave hypterthreading in as well. That's probably not a big deal, but more and more applications can take advantage of it now. There's also rumor that it's going to make a comeback on the desktop as well.

We just recently got a new Quad Dual-Core Xeon (that's four CPUs that are dual-core for those counting). I turned on hyperthreading just for the heck of it. Seeing 16 CPUs made my day... :)

holy pooooooo

that must cost some serious £££££

but must perform like a bi**h :blink:

Not to mention that you can get dual socket Xeon motherboards. I'm not sure about the quad-core Xeon CPUs...
Sure can... Supermicro makes some.

The "I'm not sure about the quad-core Xeon CPUs" was in reference to whether or not they have hyperthreading. Sorry...I worded it a bit wierd. :)

dual socket xeon boards...never seen a single socket in my life...looked hard for one too, i wanted to build a new Xeon rig, saw the price and what i needed for real performance, and then i looked at what i could afford.

dual Xeon rigs overpower everything...if you need an example, Pro Mac G5's...dual 2.4, 2.66, or 3.0 GHz models supporting up to 16gb of RAM and 2 [maybe 3]TB of storage.

dual socket xeon boards...never seen a single socket in my life...looked hard for one too, i wanted to build a new Xeon rig, saw the price and what i needed for real performance, and then i looked at what i could afford.

Although kind of outdated, take a look at the ASUS NRL-LS533 and the IWill UPX, both single socket Xeon motherboards.

Also keep in mind that just because you have a dual-socket Xeon board, that doesn't mean that you have to populate both sockets. You can leave the other socket open and upgrade later.

Of course, no matter how you slice it you're going to pay a premium to get a Xeon based system. Granted, the CPUs are A LOT cheaper than they used to be, but still quite expensive. Try looking up the prices on Xeon MP's (the MP version is required to go quad-socket or higher).

holy pooooooo

that must cost some serious £££££

but must perform like a bi**h :blink:

I just realized no one made a comment about how much RAM is in the system (we actually got two identical systems...they're for a SQL2005 cluster)... :D

Edited by nmX.Memnoch