capture partition using imagex?

if i capture my vista partition using Imagex, then can i use it as install.wim instead of default one? if yes, will it include boot info. of my partition, and if i create image after activating vista then will i need to reactivate it again if i use activated image already? :unsure:

ummm...hope u guys getting me wht i am trying to say

AMIT

Edited by amit_talkin

I had the exact same idea, but haven't got around to trying it.

However, it doesn't make sense to do that because...

* It's easier to apply back your captured image using imagex than go through the setup process to apply your captured image.

*Moreover, the whole setup deal is to install from scratch and you can customize it and format the partitions, etc. You don't need to do all that if you're going to apply your captured image and your partitions are already setup.

*Moreover, the whole setup deal is to install from scratch and you can customize it and format the partitions, etc. You don't need to do all that if you're going to apply your captured image and your partitions are already setup.

:} i didnt get u? u mean to say using WinPE?

I haven't tried it myself though you can back up your system in Vista & restore the image. I know the Ultimate ver will do this the basic versions do not. Will certainly do what you need to.

I mean, using setup from DVD (which load winpe in disguise). This setup allows you to format your drives the way you want and pick the version of vista you want to install... all of that is not necessary if you already installed and captured your image.

If you captured your image, why go through all those screens when you can APPLY your captured image using imagex.

Again, it may be possible and may work, but I'm thinking, maybe setup recognizes the prebuilt install.wim from the one you capture and name install.wim.

I have deployed using DVD from a captured WIM.

The thing you have ot be careful of is - the /flags in the imagex tool. The flags must be set correctly to the MS framework before you rename your wim.file to install.wim and build your ISO using oscdimg

IE: /flags "HOMEBASIC" or "ULTIMATE" or "HOMEPREMIUM"

Either way a generalised caputred WIM if captured on the active boot partition wil include the boot information and will deploy out properly.

Gwido