network Win98 with XP2 pro SP2 - not working

hi

i have two machines, one a PC with Win 98 and the other with XP pro sp2

if i use the network cable and hardwire directly into another Win 98 machine the two computers will talk to each other.

however, when i hardwire my win 98 PC with my XP pro SP2 machine, i get the 'limited or no connectivity' error.

i have a massive amount of files i want to move to the XP pro machine, and i want to get this via a network connection. but the two computers are not talking to each other.

can anyone help me out here? this really drives me nuts. you'd think XP pro SP2 would be 'smart' enough to know what the deal is and start a 'conversation' with the other PC without any hassle, but alas tis is not the case

Use the Windows Networking Tool in XP. I believe the problem has something to do with the software incompatibilities for networking Win98 w/XP.

See this topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=ST...=91&t=80800

I would recommend downloading this "upgrade pack" (if you are speaking of Win98SE) and install it if you plan on keeping the old computer and installation. You might be able to use only the Networking tool alone. Potentially, other items may need to be installed in addition.

The actual file needed to install comes from the XP cd under the SUPPORT/TOOLS folder and is named NETSETUP.EXE if you don't want to download the AutoPatcher from the above link.

Hope this helps and solves the problem.

i installed the netsetup.exe from my XP machine on the win 98SE machine and no go.

i dont think i need to install a 60 MB monster on the 98SE machine. was *hoping* for a tweak to get these two PCs talking to eachother

Please, somebody H-E-L-P ... SOS ...