FireFox is leaking

Hi,

I think I have a few program that leak memory constantly.

I've noticed a huge increment in the amount of memory FireFox 2.0.0.3 & IntelliJ 7M1a use (above 100MB of RAM)...

Is there any way to check that?

Edited by MtK

If you look at the process object in perfmon for the firefox application, what do the "virtual bytes", "private bytes", and "working set" counters show as values when the "leak" gets bad?

• 4 weeks later...

It's firefox starting from version 1.5 It sucks up the memory, it's horrible, just a few tabs and it eats up more then 100 megabytes of ram. **** it. You either use versions below 1.5 or you give up the whole thing.

It's firefox starting from version 1.5 It sucks up the memory, it's horrible, just a few tabs and it eats up more then 100 megabytes of ram. **** it. You either use versions below 1.5 or you give up the whole thing.

last night I stated in another forum about this problem where FF reached 300mb+

• 3 months later...

This is an old subject that's been brought up on virtually every tech site and every tech forum. Firefox isn't leaking, it aggressively caches EVERY page you ever view. If the memory isn't available, it simply won't use it, but I do admit Firefox doesn't give back memory after it takes it, and I often kill the process once a day and restart Firefox (so it re-opens all my tabs).

There is a setting in FF where you can set a limit to it's caching, but it doesn't work for me:

# Access the "about:config" url by typing that in

# Find the browser.cache.memory.capacity key.

# Double-click it to change the value

# Adjust the value. For those with 512MB to 1GB of RAM, start with a value of 15000. For those with less (between 128MB to 512MB), try a value of 5000

That normal, FireFox cache lot to system resources, have to remember that not truely using 100mb of ram that page cache too, mine at 230mb of system resources. It lot less on other OS

This is an old subject that's been brought up on virtually every tech site and every tech forum. Firefox isn't leaking, it aggressively caches EVERY page you ever view. If the memory isn't available, it simply won't use it, but I do admit Firefox doesn't give back memory after it takes it, and I often kill the process once a day and restart Firefox (so it re-opens all my tabs).

There is a setting in FF where you can set a limit to it's caching, but it doesn't work for me:

# Access the "about:config" url by typing that in

# Find the browser.cache.memory.capacity key.

# Double-click it to change the value

# Adjust the value. For those with 512MB to 1GB of RAM, start with a value of 15000. For those with less (between 128MB to 512MB), try a value of 5000

Hmm I would say just get more ram or faster box, I mean Sunfire V480 with 8gb of ram, dual sprac3 1ghz, two 72gb 10,000RPM HD run FF just fine

Fox

Edited by starfoxACEFOX