Win 98-UBCD-4.5 release

Evanhoe

Hi,

I'm not quick and I need guidance pls!

I'm writing this post on my Win XP Pro computer, because our Win 98se computer is screwed up(Even after I reinstalled the darn thing).I very much want to use the (Win 98-UBCD_4.5 release) which I downloaded on a CD disk. I'm on a dialup connection and 12 mb took a while to download,but I now have it to use anytime.From the looks of it "Unattended" is just what the Doctor ordered for me(Smile)!However,when I unzipped the App,I expected it to install itself with a couple of clicks,like(Auto Patcher v 1.95) which I downloaded 171 mb in about 20 hrs (SMILE).I use it and it'S great.

Now I need detailed information how to go about using (Win 98-UBCD_4.5 release).Can anyone guide me ? Thanks in advance.

VAN

Hello VAN

You cannot just unzip it - more complicated.

I just did this successfully on a test machine.

The file took ages for me to download as well because I went to the site with the BUGS crawling over the screen with croaking sound effects as I recall. And I have Bell Sympatico high speed. Did you get release 2 ?

As I recall I couldn't find a detailed step-by-step tutorial and had to start a thread under my moniker LL028 (that is a zero) same as you. Check it out. Switch over to the thread sophmoric (sp) left me. You will need your W98SE CD and a CD burning program. Once you get your big downloaded file unpacked there are instructions inside each folder every page of which I printed out. I found it difficult to follow because every page of instructions seemed to start back at step 1. Also there are some instructions right in the opening page to the announcement sophmoric wrote i.e. the thread where he asks for feedback.

Good Luck.

Hope it works for you.

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine,

I"ll try to sort this out and,maybe get some detailed info on,how you successfully installed this App!

Q:Did you get release 2 ?

DK,I got v 4.5! Do you mean v 4.5.10 would that be release 2?

Q:As I recall I couldn't find a detailed step-by-step tutorial and had to start a thread under my moniker LL028 (that is a zero) same as you. Check it out.

I had already seen your Posting before sending mine.In any case Soporific referred you to his Sig,where I had already read all 3 pages.

Q:You will need your W98SE CD and a CD burning program.I have all this but,can I do all this on my Win XP computer,without screwing it up?The Win 98se Puter has only 1 working CD Drive.

Q:Also there are some instructions right in the opening page to the announcement sophmoric wrote i.e. the thread where he asks for feedback.

I was aware of these Instructions "Instructions: extract all the files inside the archive to a separate folder. Add your OS setup cab files to the \Win98 directory. Also add your custom MSBATCH.INF file to this directory if you know what options you are gnerally going to use. If you include an MSBATCH.INF, you have the option of using it, or going with new custom options. Then re-burn the CD using NERO or something similar."

QUESTIONS about the above Instructions......

1-extract all the files inside the archive to a separate folder! Where? I have Win98_UBCD_4.5_Release on a CD Disk now,and Unzipped; or extract in a new created Folder in My Documents ?(In my Win xp Puter).

2-Add your OS setup cab files to the \Win98 directory. Where,and how do I do this?

3-Also add your custom MSBATCH.INF file to this directory if you know what options you are gnerally going to use. If you include an MSBATCH.INF, you have the option of using it, or going with new custom options.How and where do I create this .INF file,so I can "Then re-burn the CD using Nero"

If you or anyone else can further help me with this thing,I would forever be grateful (smile).Did I mention I was'nt quick !!!

VAN

Hey, you two :hello: :

Will try to clarify (soporific's busy with preparing newest release of AutoPatcher)...

The Autopatcher file you downloaded can probably be "installed" (just double-clisk on the file) on your XP machine. Do not do anything but install (i.e. run it after install). It will not work anyway since it checks to verify that you are running Win98SE. You need files from certain folders for the UBCD you are going to build.

Unzip the UBCD file to any folder name you like, preferably something that will identify it (e.g. C:\WIN98UBCD). If unzipping to your "My Documents" folder, just make sure you make a NEW folder underneath it. This new folder is your "work area".

Copy the complete contents of your original Win98SE's WIN98 folder. Simply place the CD in your drive, exit out of the screen (if you have AutoPlay on). Go to Windows Explorer, navigate to the CD drive and in the left pane click on the WIN98 folder, and in the right pane select all files (Ctrl+A). Next, copy all selected files (Ctrl+C).

Now navigate to the folder you created above and click on the WIN98 (left pane) folder. Now paste (Ctrl+V). The contents of the CD's WIN98 folder will be copied into the WIN98 folder of the "work area". You may now remove the CD from the drive.

Now copy the listed files, one by one, per the instructions given for the UBCD to the appropriate folders using the same method described. The list is given in the "work area folder" file named AutoPatch.txt.

(note: in the top of your Explorer window, the commands Copy/Past, etc given are single-click under "Edit").

The MSBATCH.INF file's main intent is to install Optional Components (those you find when you Add/Remove Windows Components in the Control Panel) and to provide the UserName/Organization/ProductKey, but it is a part of the "unattended" philosophy. Navigate to the "work area folder" folder-name "reskit" and read the Readme.txt. I think it may be possible to run the program "Batch98.exe" found in "reskit/batch" folder on an XP machine. It will generate an MSBATCH.INF file for you. After generated, simply copy it into the WIN98 folder ("work area") where all your Win98SE install/cab files were previously copied to.

NOTE: the above not absolutely necessary; it simply allows you to use your own "customized" version. Looking through the UBCD files, I find that it will generate one for you. Read the Instructions.txt in the "work area" folder.

Finally, burn the contents of the "work area" folder (not the folder itself) to a CD using the instructions given in Instructions.txt.

Done! You now have an unattended bootable Win98SE bootable CD with all patches applied (plus some goodies). I recommend that during install, if you choose to NOT generate your own MSBATCH.INF that you choose "custom install" so you can set your own locale (language), time zone, etc. If everything works out ok, then you can copy the UBCD-generated one (it will be placed on your hard drive, I think?) to the original "work area\WIN98" folder as described above and re-burn so you will not have to use the "sustom" option again.

(warning! be sure of the input you give to unattend.bat, the key, locale, etc. must be correct or your burned cd will not be any good; not to worry; if you boo-boo during input, just finish it up and rerun it before you burn the CD).

Hope this helps. I haven't tried it yet myself, but this appears to be the process as I can glean from the contents of the UBCD zip file and the original thread found here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Unattended_Boot_...8.html&st=0

We are all being "guinea pigs" on this one. It is a work-in-progress, but reading the thread it appears to be fine...

soporific :hello: :

Edited this post to "after-post" "your-next-post"...

ahem ... there's a thread for this project...
I did, as you can see, attempt to point said members back to where they should be.

Just trying to help at-the-time to clarify and redirect so this thread might cease as a necessity.

Apologies for confusion... am not trying to step on any toes...

p.s. hope this post was more-or-less step-by-step accurate...

To the two new members. Stay within the original thread...

Case closed...

Edited by submix8c

ahem ... there's a thread for this project and its only just around the corner ... if you'd like to follow me please ... no straying at the back! Come on, keep up ... Ok, are we ready? Let's go...

Edited by soporific

Submix8c,

Thank you very much for the nice detailed instructions you provided.Between yours and Soporific's I should now be able to accomplish this task! If not I will be back.

Van

Guys [and girls],

The Unattended Boot CD for Windows 98/98 SE [uBCD98] forum is here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Unattended_Boot_..._45_t88008.html

soporific's thread that answers your questions is here [also in the UBCD98 forum]:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Unattended_Boot_...st&p=654329

Please post all questions/comments in the UBCD98 forum.

sopo... r_i_f_i_c is ter... r_i_f_i_c [sorry, I couldn't resist :lol:] and answers all your questions in a professional and timely manner, in the UBCD98 forum.

Thanks.

This thread now closed.