An Alternative Hotfix Guide

svcpacks only useful for exploitable loopholes that are vulnerable while xp's setting up.. like microsofts rpc cockup (kb824146) ..and if you use a dialup internet connection its of no use at all ..it'll slow your install and take up a whole heap of space for no reason

create two folders in %OEM%\%1\Install like this

Hotfixes1
„        WindowsXP-KB823182-x86-ENU.exe
„        WindowsXP-KB824105-x86-ENU.exe
„        WindowsXP-KB824141-x86-ENU.exe
„        WindowsXP-KB825119-x86-ENU.exe
„        WindowsXP-KB826939-x86-ENU.exe
„        WindowsXP-KB828035-x86-ENU.exe
Hotfixes2
„        js56nen.exe
„        Q330994.exe
„        Q828750.exe

copy qchain.exe and Q823718_MDAC_SecurityPatch.exe into %OEM%\%1\Install

and use these four lines of code to install them all from a batch in guirunonce

for %%i in (%systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes1\*.exe) do start /wait %%i /z /n /o /q
for %%i in (%systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes2\*.exe) do start /wait %%i /Q:A /R:N
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Q823718_MDAC_SecurityPatch.exe /C:"dahotfix /q /n" /Q
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\qchain.exe

next time a hotfix is released drop it in the appropriate folder depending on its icon.. coloured icons in Hotfixes2 and all others in Hotfixes1.. the code does the rest

i would advise using guirunonce rather than cmdlines.txt because disk caching and motherboard resources are set up when guirunonce does its job.. this makes for a much faster install

qchain is needed to make sure the highest version of a file is installed when executing multiple hotfixes.. grab it here ..i should add that qchain fuctionality is built into post-sp1 hotfixes so it may not be needed

if you run a broadband connection install kb824146 using aarons svcpack method.. grab it here ..this'll make sure no blaster worm variants get in before xp's finished setting up

should save you 16mb's over the svcpack method and a whole heap of head scratching

if your a network administrator or making an attended cd, its advisable to use the svcpack method, otherwise, for an unattended cd, use the benefits and speed of guirunonce.. this is for home users that want an easily maintainable hotfix technique

:)

Forgive my ignorance, but i don't see how installing hotfixes via GuiRunOnce is any faster than installing hotfixes via svcpack.inf or cmdlines.inf? Either way you'll have to wait as the hotfixes are extracted and installed. Or am i missing something? You don't say exactly where to put these batch files.

All the %1 does is put the files on the system drive if im not mistaken. Why does that make this any better than any other method? <lost>

-gosh

Gosh >> IMHO it's the easiest way to install a splitreamed XP with all the hotfixes. The batch file and the .sif file are made, no need to change it everytime a new hotfix comes up.

The only thing you have to do is placed the new hotfix in the appropirate folder (install/hotfixes1, install/hotfixes2, etc). Now that there's a rollup package, you also need to delete the previous hotfixes covered by the rollup update. But that's all.

Well, I like to do everything with the GuiRunAtonce section : applying a reg file, installing appz and hotfixes and finally removing the useless folders.

If it might help anyone, here is my two batch files called by GuiRunAtonce :

Edited on 19/10 at 3pm GMT after the topic was re-opened

CLS
@echo off
MODE CON COLS=80 LINES=40
COLOR 0B
TITLE Updating and tweaking Windows XP SP1
echo Post-installation program starting
echo Eject the XP CD right now !
PAUSE
echo.
echo Removing zip support...
regsvr32.exe -u %systemroot%\system32\zipfldr.dll
echo.
echo Removing XP spyware...
regsvr32.exe -u %systemroot%\system32\regwizc.dll
echo.
echo Applying Registry Tweaks...
regedit.exe /s %systemdrive%\Install\registry.reg
echo.
echo Installing Winrar 3.1b5
start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\wrar31b5.exe /silent
copy "%systemdrive%\Install\RARREG.KEY" "%systemdrive%\program files\WinRAR\"
echo.
echo Installing DirectX 9.0b...
start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\dxsetup.exe /windowsupdate
echo.
echo Applying Update Rollup 1...
start /wait %systemdrive%\hotfixes\KB826939.exe /u /q /z /n
echo Applying SP2 hotfixes...
for %%i in (%systemdrive%\hotfixes\1\*.exe) do start /wait %%i /u /q /z /n
for %%i in (%systemdrive%\hotfixes\2\*.exe) do start /wait %%i /q:a /r:n
echo Applying others hotfixes...
start /wait %systemdrive%\hotfixes\KBMDAC.exe /q /c:"dahotfix /q /n"
start /wait %systemdrive%\hotfixes\Qchain.exe
echo Installation complete. Please restart Windows to apply all hotfixes.
PAUSE
EXIT

@echo off
echo.
echo Removing useless wallpapers, shortcuts and screensavers...
del "%systemroot%\Blue Lace 16.bmp"
del "%systemroot%\Coffee Bean.bmp"
del "%systemroot%\FeatherTexture.bmp"
del "%systemroot%\Gone Fishing.bmp"
del "%systemroot%\Greenstone.bmp"
del "%systemroot%\Prairie Wind.bmp"
del "%systemroot%\Rhododendron.bmp"
del "%systemroot%\River Sumida.bmp"
del "%systemroot%\Santa Fe Stucco.bmp"
del "%systemroot%\Soap Bubbles.bmp"
del "%systemroot%\Zapotec.bmp"
del "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Crystal.jpg"
del "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Friend.jpg"
del "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Home.jpg"
del "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Moon flower.jpg"
del "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Peace.jpg"
del "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Power.jpg"
del "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Purple flower.jpg"
del "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Radiance.jpg"
del "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Ripple.jpg"
del "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Stonehenge.jpg"
del "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Vortec space.jpg"
del "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Ascent.jpg"
del "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Autumn.jpg"
del "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Azul.jpg"
del "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Follow.jpg"
del "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Red moon desert.jpg"
del "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Tulips.jpg"
del "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Wind.jpg"
del "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Windows Update.lnk"
del "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Windows Catalog.lnk"
del "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ss3dfo.scr"
del "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssbezier.scr"
del "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssflwbox.scr"
del "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssmarque.scr"
del "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssmypics.scr"
del "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssmyst.scr"
del "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\sspipes.scr"
del "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssstars.scr"
del "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\sstext3d.scr"
del "%systemroot%\system32\ss3dfo.scr"
del "%systemroot%\system32\ssbezier.scr"
del "%systemroot%\system32\ssflwbox.scr"
del "%systemroot%\system32\ssmarque.scr"
del "%systemroot%\system32\ssmypics.scr"
del "%systemroot%\system32\ssmyst.scr"
del "%systemroot%\system32\sspipes.scr"
del "%systemroot%\system32\ssstars.scr"
del "%systemroot%\system32\sstext3d.scr"
echo.
echo Removing useless folders...
rd /s /q "%systemdrive%\Program Files\ComPlus Applications"
rd /s /q "%systemdrive%\Program Files\Online Services"
rd /s /q "%systemdrive%\Program Files\Uninstall Information"
rd /s /q "%systemdrive%\Program Files\chat"
rd /s /q "%systemdrive%\Program Files\xerox"
rd /s /q "%systemdrive%\Program Files\msn gaming zone"
rd /s /q "%systemdrive%\Program Files\microsoft frontpage"
rd /s /q "%systemdrive%\hotfixes"
rd /s /q "%systemdrive%\Drivers"
rd /s /q "%systemdrive%\Install"
rd /s /q "%systemdrive%\Tweaks"
echo.
PAUSE
EXIT

Edited by squallgreg

My point is simply how is using GuiRunOnce any faster or better than using cmdlines or svcpack?

Everyone prefers there own method, im just asking how using GuiRunOnce makes the setup faster or better. From my perspective it doesn't. Whatever method you're using - whether svcpack, cmdlines, or guirunonce - you still gotta wait as the hotfixes extract, run, and install.

And Gecko's comment is valid, how does running qchain help? Especially now that the rollup is out and all those old hotfixes aren't needed anymore.

-gosh

My point is simply how is using GuiRunOnce any faster or better than using cmdlines or svcpack?

It is not faster, it is easier to create and to update.

And Gecko's comment is valid, how does running qchain help?  Especially now that the rollup is out and all those old hotfixes aren't needed anymore.

To make sure everything's ok. And in the near future, new bloddy hotfixes will come up...

Now i see what numerous meant. He is saying to slipstream the xp rollup, then install the hotfixes using guirunonce. I don't see why he couldn't just come out and say that.

I still don't see how doing this helps dial-up users. The only thing this does is save you some disk space. The xp install will still be the same time. Dialup users will still have to download the hotfixes, etc.

-gosh

basically i know through experience.. ive tried and tested all methods.. cmdlines.txt is a little slower than guirunonce and svcpack is slower than both.. if you followed the unattended guide anything copied to the hdd from $1\install is removed with a simple del command.. for some reason even though the hotfixes are on the hdd, cmdlines.txt needs to spin up the cdrom before hand.. as for speed in guirunonce, its because disk caching and motherboard resources are setup when guirunonce does its job

qchain is valid because microsoft will no doubt release more hotfixes

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=815062

its by far easier to maintain using a drag and drop approach.. all you gotta do is drop your hotfix in the right folder

im guessing anyone whos read this forum for more than one day knows how to make a batch and execute it

CMDLINES.TXT and SVCPACK.INF are run at almost exactly the same point in setup: Using one or the other is not faster. GuiRunOnce is a different matter, and the system is in a different state when this is run. I, like you, have not measured, but I, too, believe they run faster there, either because inventory control has less sorting to do, or other drivers may be acting differently.

CMDLINES.TXT is never copeid from the CD to the hard drive, thus the CD spinup when it is run.

When the hotfixes are run, files in use are not copied over, rather a temp file is made, and added to a queue of files to be renamed during next reboot. QCHAIN sorts out this list to insure versions are overwritten in a correct maner. It is only needed if two or more hotfixes update the same file, and even then it may not be needed, depending if the updater has the internal QCHAIN bug corrected.

Far easier to maintain your installation builder perhaps, I just hope you re-run all those hotfixes after each time you are asked to insert the XP CD.

Sorry, Numinous, but you've outdone yourself on this one.

@GreenMachine - thanks for answering my question. I understand now.

@Numinous & Squallgreg - I have to agree, the GuiRunOnce method is easiest to deal with. The SVCPACK method almost fried my brain the first time I read it. Although I know understand it, I really prefer being able to drop new hotfixes in a folder and not have to worry about editing a text file.