Backing-up folders from one server to another

i would like to backup a folder on an application server to a file server on a nightly basis. the application server is not in the domain while the file server is. when i use xcopy (via batch file) for the job, i get 'sharing violation' error.

when i try to add this as a scheduled task on the application server and runas using a domain-user's account, it returns as error that says "unable to verify account credentials" or such.

anyone can help me with this?

thanks.

All you need are local accounts on each server that match. So create a local user account on the non-domain server called schedtasks. Now create the same local account on the member server. Make sure they have the same password. Make sure it has the appropriate permissions on both servers and use that account to schedule your tasks. It should work without a problem.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

All you need are local accounts on each server that match. So create a local user account on the non-domain server called schedtasks. Now create the same local account on the member server. Make sure they have the same password. Make sure it has the appropriate permissions on both servers and use that account to schedule your tasks. It should work without a problem.

thanks!!

i tried this method and it works exactly the way i wanted!

I finally got around to playing with DFS, the latest version included with 2003 R2...if your servers support that I would highly suggest using that instead. However I don't know how effective it would be with a computer off the domain, don't have that situation to test.

i've got another problem now. while i've no issues manually activating the script to do the backup, i cant possibly be clicking it everyday. i thus added this to the scheduled task. however, it doesnt activate at the preset time. i've configured the task to run as the username which is common on both terminals and given admin-rights.

anyone can advice?

if you right click on the scheduled task and run does it work?

if so i would check the username and password u are using make sure its in the format domain\username

:)

as i mentioned earlier, only one of the 2 servers involved is in the domain, the other is not. if i right click on the scheduled task and run, it doesnt run at all. i've specifically created 2 identical local admin accounts for this purpose, one on each server. both accounts have the idential username and passwords. i've also set the appropriate permissions on the folders involved such that these 2accounts can perform the necessary actions.

did i miss out anything?

i've managed to solved it. it seemed that the date format for the local-account is in the form dd/mm/yyyy. '/' is disallowed in windows' naming convention. subsequently, i logged in using the local-account and changed the date format to dd-mm-yyyy' and that solves all the problem!

thanks everyone for helping out. :)