What Dirs/Files can safely be removed for UA

Read if your installing from boot & not from the dvd's setup.exe as we do in UA. I believe many dirs & files can be removed from the sources folder?

Can anyone confirm this & does anyone know exactly what may be removed to still allow UA functionality.

As no one has been forth coming or may not know??

I have successfully reduced my sources directory down to the following see image.

No loss of functionality, working good. Bear in mind this is totally ran from the dvd in a UA setup only. :thumbup

Edited by MAVERICKS CHOICE

• 3 months later...

Hey this is interesting. Could you elaborate on the process a bit more. I know when installing drivers from media you use SetDriversRoot which calls X:\Setup.exe at the end (after setting the root) so are you saying that this method does not use setup.exe? If so how does it work? Can you still install drivers/apps? Why do both methods exist? Too many questions?!

Thanks.

Edited by Dobby

Hey this is interesting. Could you elaborate on the process a bit more. I know when installing drivers from media you use SetDriversRoot which calls X:\Setup.exe at the end (after setting the root) so are you saying that this method does not use setup.exe? If so how does it work? Can you still install drivers/apps? Why do both methods exist? Too many questions?!

Thanks.

Yes Dobby full functionality & no you don't remove anything from the root...only the Sources dir.

Hope that helps..

It seems vLite does this already. There's not much left after it's been run. Handy if you don't use vLite though.

Don't quote me Dobby but pretty sure VLite reduces both wims not other files in the sources dir...mostly a double up..

Edited by MAVERICKS CHOICE

Well I have a few vLited images on my drive and it seems they all remove everything apart from boot.wim, install.wim and the clg for the version you selected (Home Premium in my case) from sources. It also removes 'support' and 'upgrade' from the root.

Did you do Rebuild in vLite or just Apply?

Works OK for me

No, no. Definately rebuild. But I'm thinking if you're using 1.1beta and it's only leaving the wims then it's good news for me and I just have to figure out what I'm doing wrong. :hello: