Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98 (discussion)

• 1 month later...

Damn. I can't search for chipsets like Z77 or Z68, even though i can see the term in threads and topics... :dubbio:anyway...

Can anyone report in very briefly on his/her experience with W98SE on x77/x68/x67 chipset boards (Sandy Bridge/IvyBridge, Socket 1155)?

Edited by ragnargd

I can confirm H67 and B75. First without native PCI, second with native PCI.. see this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#LGA_1155  // PCI column
   I im not expert, but i would go for native PCI, just to be sure. There was some afraid that EFI could be problem, but on my B75 all seems to be fine.
 And these are also last ones (+X58,X79) with pure Dos PCI Sound blaster sound working.

These board still has IDE/AHCI switch in bios, so you can use great rLoew SATA/AHCI drivers for Win98, which are now free.

If you someone would to good boy he can make some summary post or online sheet with chipset table and we can add here what was tested. I managed to install Win98, up to Z170, what means that Z270 will run too.. But because of no native Dos sound in dos windom, no big deal for me.

Edited by ruthan

Windows 98SE worked fine on my ThinkPad X230 (which is Ivy Bridge based). I had to disable USB BIOS Option (basically USB booting) to make the boot up faster for some reason though. HIMEMX/AHCI driver (not the compatibility mode)/VBEMP worked fine.

Yeah now with on board devices, but with addon you can make it and even then its worthy of informs other which devices are working.

I can recommend Broadcom 5721 PCI-e NIC, which can be cheaply bough on ebay < 10$.. sound card its harder.. you need some addition cheap PCIE to PCI-E bridge.. which has hassle with its placement in or outside of case.. or you need make USB working too and use USB sound card. There are some USB-2 PCI-e adapters.. but i dunno if they can work in Win98 and if yes, if they would work with USB sound card.. but its worth of try.. If want using Win98 at least some from desktop for multimedia.

I can confirm that USB-2 PCI-e cards do work in windows 98 SE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-PCI-e-x1-expansion-Card-4-External-USB2-0-PCI-express-Adapter-Moschip/223262224944?hash=item33fb773230:g:ilEAAOSwaBZZmNXa

I have a USB 2.0 PCI-E x1 card (it has no Molex power connector, it uses a PCI NEC USB 2.0 chip and a PLX PCI to PCI-E bridge chip not a Moschip).
It has problems and does not work together with the AHCI driver or the 82.69 driver for whatever reason.
Your mileage with such cards might therefore vary, maybe the model with Molex power connector works better, I don't know.

I've only tried a USB Sound Card together with the USB 2.0 PCI-E x1 card on 98SE, it worked well.

On 2/22/2020 at 3:59 AM, Damnation said:

Usually, many chipsets only work AFTER installation, once drivers (i.e. NUSB)  have been installed.

Many boards that are unusable because of a lack of PS/2-ports would become usable if their usb-ports were accessible during boot/installation. Very rare, unfortunately, only have seen this with old boards where it was USB 1.1, that also emulated PS/2.

Do you know if this works at boot-time already, or while installing?

Edited by ragnargd
content, spelling

• 2 months later...

just like to add anything VIA chipped USB 2 PCI cards have 98se support and are stable.

LOTS of old new stock exists and many SATA II PCI cards have driver support but not bookable support

that needs text mode support that begins in windows NT i believe.

Is wise to use built in SATA on motherboards for hopes of 9x SATA booting. 

Edited by ZaPbUzZ
more info