Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98 (discussion)

Has anybody tried Windows 98 on MBO with chipset VIA P4M900 ?

Because MBO on this chipset are with PCI Express nobody expect that they will work but ...

MBO is having :

Integrated VIA® Chrome9 HC Graphics, DirectX 9.0 VGA, Max. shared memory 256MB

For this GPU you can download drivers on Via site (http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2&OSID=6&CatID=1430). OK there you will not find drivers for P4M900 but for GPU on MBO CN896 VIA Chrome9™ integrated graphics and K8M890CE/K8N890CE Chrome9™ integrated graphics. All this GPU areChrome9™ so this need to work ?? I hope that somebody have will to test that and write on this site.

All other drivers (chipset, ATA, SATA) for P4M900 is possible to download from Via site and they will work with Windows 98 SE if we believe to VIA.

Gygabate and AsRock are having MBO around this chipset which is supporting Core 2 Duo.

For the end I will say again this chipset is maybe working with Windows 98 SE and must important if it is working it is not possible to add graphic card !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I do not see point in socket 939 MBO but in my region of the world there are now more of 20 different MBO

Socket 939 MBO which are without questions working with Windows 98SE are:

EPOX, s. 939, 9NDA3+, nForce 3 Ultra, BUS 2000 MHz, serial ATA RAID, 7.1 zvuk, DDR 400, 1Gps, FireWire, Firewall, ATX 2

EPOX, s. 939, 9NDA3J, nForce 3 Ultra, BUS 2000 MHz, serial ATA RAID, 7.1 zvuk, DDR 400, 1Gps, ATX 2

ECS KV2 Lite, s939, VIA K8T800 Pro, AGP, SATA, RAID, LAN

I have a 4CoreDual-VSTA too, with 98 running fine. I never found the problem with onboard sound as I have a sound card.

I have not been able to install the VIA drivers, even when I downloaded one 4:1 specifically for Win98, but it is working well enough for now on the native drivers.

> I have not been able to install the VIA drivers, even when I downloaded one 4:1 specifically for Win98

I found that this worked fine on the dual-core VSTA:

VIA Hyperion Pro Driver Package

http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/VIA_HyperionPro_V512A.zip

> but it is working well enough for now on the native drivers.

Native drivers?

Were there some on the CD that came with the motherboard? (I didn't look at mine).

Native drivers?

Were there some on the CD that came with the motherboard? (I didn't look at mine).

No, the buit-in drivers on the Windows CD. The hard disc controllers are working, but not the onboard LAN yet.

I could not find any 98 drivers on the motherboard CD.

> > Were there some on the CD that came with the motherboard?

>

> No, the buit-in drivers on the Windows CD. The hard disc controllers

> are working, but not the onboard LAN yet.

So you're saying that VIA drivers from 1998 are compatible with a VIA chipset from 2006?

You should look to see if your hard drives are being accessed in "DOS compatibility mode".

Hmmm .....

From my experience, VIA based boards works fine with win98 ... The last successfull win98 install I did was on MSI K9MMV with a sata hdd.

One wil have to enable compatibility mode for the sata interface and it will run fine with win98. The MSI board was using an agp card so that's not a problem. I patched a lite nvidia driver that only installs the driver portions minus utilities and it seems to works good till now ...

Performance between ide and sata drives on win98 completed installs seems to be similar. Perhaps because of the faster processor and faster sata hdd performance ...

I will be building another with Asus M2V (pci-e) and from what I've read and heard so far, it will work with win98.

I have stayed away from nforce chipsets all this while for this one reason, compatibility with win98 and dos. I still have to perform daily tasks with these two as I need low-level hardware access for certain devices ...

Rgds

> From my experience, VIA based boards works fine with win98 ...

I'm not arguing about that.

What I'm saying is that you'll probably find better drivers at the VIA website vs the old legacy drivers that are on the win-98 CD.

> The last successfull win98 install I did was on MSI K9MMV with a sata hdd.

Was the SATA drive being used in IDE-remap mode?

> One wil have to enable compatibility mode for the sata interface

> and it will run fine with win98.

As long as the drive is less than 128 gb in size. When you enable IDE-remap mode in the BIOS, win-98 will see the drive as an ordinary IDE drive and it will use ESDI_506.PDR to access the drive. If the drive is larger than 128 gb, the drive will get screwed up the first time windows tries to access it past the 128 gb point.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Rjecina. I can confirm that the Gigabyte GA-VM900M R1.0 board has working IDE & VGA drivers under windows 98SE.

I used your link http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageI...mp;SubCatID=189 and also used the hyperion Pro driver on the driver CD that came with the Gigabyte board. While there are some ! errors on PCI and other unnecessary devices in device manager, it all appears to work.. except sound but I don't think I will bother with that! I am running truecolour in 1024x760. I am not trying any 3d games though.

Thanks for your suggestion about using the Win98 VIA® Chrome9 HC Graphics driver for VIA P4M900. You were right.

Sound problem for this Gigabyte MBO is very easy .

If normal PCI (no PCI express) is working OK you need only to buy sound card.

On http://www.cmedia.com.tw/?q=en/driver you can see which sound cards support Windows 98

This are CMI 8768/8768+ and CMI 8738. Sound card CMI 8738 is possible to buy for 10 US dollars or less :)

Edited by Rjecina

• 2 weeks later...

SiS is having interesting chipsets. Like example I will use chipset SIS® 662&964 with IGP. ECS has around that created MBO 662/1066T-M2 which is supporting Core 2 Duo processor.

For this MBO is possible to download this Windows 98 drivers on ECS website: SIS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter, SIS SATA/RAID driver, RealTek Codec Sound on board driver, SiS Compatible VGA Multimedia Driver. All in all this are all needed drivers for MBO to work on Windows 98 SE (only new needed drivers are for USB 2.0)

It is important to say that on that MBO only working solution is IGP card (with 128 MB ram) because no other GPU card will work with Windows 98.

Similar situation is with SiS - ECS solution for AMD. Name of socket AM2 MBO is 761GXM-M. ECS site is giving Windows 98 SE drivers for SiS AGP VxD Driver, SiS180/181/182 Raid Driver, RealTek Codec Sound on board driver so it look that this will work with Windows 98 SE

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reposting this (it was posted in alt.windows98 and microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion on August 16)

---------------------------------

> MSI K8M890M-V Socket 939 Micro-ATX anybody using it?

Looks like you'll be able to get it functional in win-98 by downloading the via drivers from here:

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageI...&CatID=1110

Specifically:

http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/VIA_HyperionPro_V512A.zip

(VIA Hyperion Pro Driver Package)

That board has PCI and PCI-e slots. You won't be able to get a pci-e video card running on win-98, so you'll have to find a PCI video card.

If you are a die-hard AMD fan, you might want to look at this board:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Mode...-VSTA&s=939

(Asrock 939Dual-VSTA)

It uses the ULi M1695 chipset, which seems to have win-98 support:

http://www.uli.com.tw/eng/support/drivers.php

(Note that ULi was purchased by NVidia in Dec. 2005)

Otherwise, you might want to look at this board:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4COREDUAL-VSTA

(Asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA)

It uses the VIA PT880 Ultra Chipset (same link as above for the drivers). It can take DDR and DDR-2 memory, and it has a PCI-e ->AND<- AGP-8x slots. The downside to this board is that you won't get the audio working so you'll have to use a separate sound card.

• 2 weeks later...

From my experience the ASRock 939S56-M motherboard works well with Windows 98SE. It takes socket 939 processors including AMD's dual core. It uses PCI Express. PCI Express graphics cards have worked fine when i've tried them with Windows 98SE.

You won't be able to get a pci-e video card running on win-98, so you'll have to find a PCI video card.

I have had no trouble using NVIDIA PCI Express graphics cards with Windows 98SE, as long as you use the Tweaked Unofficial NVIDIA Display Drivers for Windows 98 and ME.