Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98 (discussion)

Foxconn H55MXV is work~

but

on board sound /vga don't have driver

on board network have driver,not working

i am using the pci sound card & network card

and use pcie 7600gt(nv82.69 driver still shutdown problem)

usb 2.0 is working

pri. channel (2device) hdd is working at "dma" (not safe mode)

sec. channel some driver problem,it can using sata dvd-rw rom

Edited by seam

Foxconn H55MXV is work~

but

on board sound /vga don't have driver

on board network have driver,not working

i am using the pci sound card & network card

and use pcie 7600gt(nv82.69 driver still shutdown problem)

usb 2.0 is working

pri. channel (2device) hdd is working at "dma" (not safe mode)

sec. channel some driver problem,it can using sata dvd-rw rom

The RTL8111 Network Driver uses a lot of low memory, try my RAM Limitation Patch Demo with the /M Option.

Using the Secondary SATA Channel will require my SATA Patch to be used in Native mode.

The only PCIe Video Card I have seen without the shutdown problem is the 7100GS.

This level of compatability seems to be common to a number of motherboards. I have one like it.

The RTL8111 Network Driver uses a lot of low memory, try my RAM Limitation Patch Demo with the /M Option.

Using the Secondary SATA Channel will require my SATA Patch to be used in Native mode.

The only PCIe Video Card I have seen without the shutdown problem is the 7100GS.

This level of compatability seems to be common to a number of motherboards. I have one like it.

i gave up a realtek network card .i will try to via vt6130 pcie network card

Sec channel can to use DVD-rw is fine~

anyway thank you a suggest

Edited by seam

Hi,

I have an AsRock 775i65G v. 2.0. and I need to buy memory modules compatibles with C2Q Q6700, I will to use an pci videocard, a Radeon Aiw Ve and a lastest agp avaliable for lastest OSs.

Which memory models you recommend to buy?

Thanks,

BF.

Sorry for late answer.

Only possible memory models for this MBO are DDRI (other names for this memory are:DDR 400, PC3200) which are working on 400 MHZ (in dual mode this is 400x2=800MHZ) and max memory is 2 GB (1GB + 1GB). It is not possible to add PCIexpress gpu card to this MBO and only possibility are PCI or AGP cards (like PointofView GeForce 6200 AGP 256MB DDR (directX 9.0) which is stil in few shops).

If GeForce 6X00 or Radeon 9X00 graphic cards with official drivers are not good enough for you can always try GeForce 7XX0 AGP or Radeon X300 - X850 AGP (if you can find them) with support for DirectX 9.0c and Shader Model 3.0. Unofficial drivers for this graphic cards are created by our forum friend and they are free for download.

It is possible to buy Radeon AGP graphic card with DirectX 10 support (example Radeon HD 4650 AGP), but I do not know official or unofficial drivers for Windows 98.

Links:

http://windows98.ic.cz/ - unofficial MBO and GPU drivers for Windows 98 (free download).

http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?family=GeForce+6+Series+Family - EVGA site with GeForce 6200 AGP and PCI graphic cards. Drivers must be taken from NVidia site.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-4650-agp,2383.html - review of Radeon HD 4650 AGP which is without Windows 98 drivers

i gave up a realtek network card .i will try to via vt6130 pcie network card

Sec channel can to use DVD-rw is fine~

anyway thank you a suggest

The RTL8111 NIC, I was referring to, is the one built into the Motherboard not a separate card.

My Gigabyte MA78GM Motherboard also uses it.

Hey rloew shouldn't you be making your app freeware now? :P

W98 is nice but under no circumstances my RadeonHD 5970 is going to boot it right :D Any idea which was the last HD based GPU that works right on W98 (official or unofficial drivers matters not)

Hey rloew shouldn't you be making your app freeware now? :P

Why?

Because... W98 is pretty much dead IF problem mentioned in THIS place don't get any attention (below)

edit: on the second thought, if you do come with solution to THAT mentioned problem, i will really consider buying your softwares otherwise... hmmm (you know the answer)

Edited by lama

@lama: Being obsolete is no reason to make software freeware. The only good reason to make software freeware, open source or whatever is it's rightful owner wishing to do so. Please do stop hijacking this thread.

hmmm :) You wouldn't happen to be RLoew would you? I have a strange feeling you are RLoew with just another nick... How else you could be... pretty much same?

Anyways, Do you have solution on how to make new graphic cards work on W98?

Yes, running 3 SATA drves: a SSD, 2 HDDs, and a DVD-ROM

The SATA DVD-ROM worked for about a day in compatibility mode before refusing to read any disks in Win98. Have a IDE CD-ROM on order to fix this, as the P5E has an IDE port which makes things easy.

Edited by John1780

Guest wsxedcrfv

New to this board and wanted to add my P5E to this list. I have Win 98 working on this board in IDE compatibility mode.

So, you found win-98 drivers for Intel X38/ICH9R chipset?

You're using IDE mode for your SATA drives because you can't find Win-98 SATA drivers yes?

What PCIe video card are you using, and where did you get win-98 drivers for it?

Yes, running 3 SATA drves: a SSD, 2 HDDs, and a DVD-ROM

The SATA DVD-ROM worked for about a day in compatibility mode before refusing to read any disks in Win98. Have a IDE CD-ROM on order to fix this, as the P5E has an IDE port which makes things easy.

Without specific RAID or AHCI Drivers for your SATA Controller, you will need my SATA Patch for the SATA Drives to work in 32-Bit Mode.

This would also provide support for the SATA DVD-ROM.