Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98 (discussion)

• 7 months later...
Guest taunus20m

On my new board Win98SE runs very good:

I use it mainly for internet and office.

MSI: G31TM-P21

Socket: 775

Chipset: ICH7

RAM: 1 GB DDR2

LAN: RTL8103EL (Driver from Realtek)

Graphic: Driver: Bearwindows UNI 32-bit

USB : Driver NUSB 3.3 d (USB 2.0)

No sound

Printer: Brother HL-2035 (USB)

Only problem I have: VFAT-problem at booting if I have the RTL8103E , MS Office 2000 AND

Netframework 2.0 on it.

So if I don't install Netframework 2.0 all things running fine.

Also with KernelEx 4.5 ...of course!

Roger from Germany

• 1 month later...

Installed 98SE on a dell GX280 (915G chipset). It sort of work -- I have to disable USB in the BIOS, otherwise it would lock up hard (with 2 short beeps) right after displaying the Win98 boot screen.

Hi,I would like to share with you my short experience with this mobo:

Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G

WinNT4 boots with latest UNIATA 0.39j2 that supports new ICH8-10 released by BW, thanks to him.

My further testing was aimed to DOS and Win98.

DOS is OK, it sees SATA drives as standard IDE on legacy ports/IRQ. Except the PATA controller

Jmicron - I had to use special driver gcdrom.sys to be able to use PATA CD/DVD drivers.

I tested that ICH10 IDE was much slower than ICH7 (15MB/s vs 35MB/s).

For Win98 I did some INF file modding (I will upload it for other testers soon) and it booted

and detected most of HW resources but there are 3 problems:

1) USB2.0 doesn't work (I got 1.1 slow speed) because of problem on USB 2.0 root hub in device manager (I use NUSB 3.3 cz)

2) HDD works in some compatability extreme slow mode and I cannot see drives in device manager.

There are SATA controller and standard dualport PCI dual fifo controller marked /!\. I messed

aroud with it but I couldn't fix it.

3) Jmicron controller is totally missing, PATA optical drives are inacessible.

Before I can do more testing the mobo has died (fall into endless restarting loop, clear cmos didn't helped, replacing cpu/ram, nothing..)

and I RMA it and changed it by another mobo with P41+ICH7 for better compatability.

Did anybody else succeed with ICH8/9/10?

did your mobo workng on ide?

i using h55 using sata(IDE mode) @ \!/ <-

& can't using usb 2.0

Hi,I would like to share with you my short experience with this mobo:

Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G

WinNT4 boots with latest UNIATA 0.39j2 that supports new ICH8-10 released by BW, thanks to him.

My further testing was aimed to DOS and Win98.

DOS is OK, it sees SATA drives as standard IDE on legacy ports/IRQ. Except the PATA controller

Jmicron - I had to use special driver gcdrom.sys to be able to use PATA CD/DVD drivers.

I tested that ICH10 IDE was much slower than ICH7 (15MB/s vs 35MB/s).

For Win98 I did some INF file modding (I will upload it for other testers soon) and it booted

and detected most of HW resources but there are 3 problems:

1) USB2.0 doesn't work (I got 1.1 slow speed) because of problem on USB 2.0 root hub in device manager (I use NUSB 3.3 cz)

2) HDD works in some compatability extreme slow mode and I cannot see drives in device manager.

There are SATA controller and standard dualport PCI dual fifo controller marked /!\. I messed

aroud with it but I couldn't fix it.

3) Jmicron controller is totally missing, PATA optical drives are inacessible.

Before I can do more testing the mobo has died (fall into endless restarting loop, clear cmos didn't helped, replacing cpu/ram, nothing..)

and I RMA it and changed it by another mobo with P41+ICH7 for better compatability.

Did anybody else succeed with ICH8/9/10?

& can't using usb 2.0

Using SATA Drives, that don't have Windows 9x compatable RAID Drivers, requires my SATA Patch.

& can't using usb 2.0

Using SATA Drives, that don't have Windows 9x compatable RAID Drivers, requires my SATA Patch.

May I download your sata Patch?

THX~

& can't using usb 2.0

May I download your sata Patch?

THX~

The Patch is not free. You would need to order it.

Edited by rloew

Hi there guys....my question is i have a ben q joybook P%3 Bv06 and im wondering if thats windows 98 supported? coz im planning to run some rellay old games on it....and also im planning to tri boot 98/ windows 7/ and ubuntu

• 4 weeks later...

H55 (ich8 -ich10 & p55 & h55 "Bus Master IDE controller")

i tested mod inf.

DUAL IDE CHANNEL

Enabled "only primary channel"

can using two sata deivce for normally

normal speed @ocz vertex

---------------------------------

update:24-8-2010

can using dvd-rw rom at "sec channel"

just edit i/o value "FF90-FF9F" to FF00-FF0F

post-291827-127874194575_thumb.jpg

post-291827-128263760288_thumb.jpg

Edited by seam

• 1 month later...

Hi,

is it possible to install WIN 98SE (besides WIN7) on this ? http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=xrR7wto9Z5BL42aU&templete=2

My Computer ist 12 years old (Compaq Deskpro) and I find the setup of the HTPC ION is smuggling small, has all I want (I am not a gamer and used to Intel processors and to onboard), you can have a second harddisk (one for WIN 7 ... and one for WIN 98SE ??).

I know I need rloews patch for the too large RAM. but what about the other drivers.

On the site above, it says that WIN 2000 would install (I have and know all the updates, such as sesp30b4; Kernelex 4.5 RC 1; RP965: (MDIECU634); etc

And I will have two harddisks (I have a promotional offer)

What do you think ?

Thanks for your help

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

is it possible to install WIN 98SE (besides WIN7) on this ? http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=xrR7wto9Z5BL42aU&templete=2

My Computer ist 12 years old (Compaq Deskpro) and I find the setup of the HTPC ION is smuggling small, has all I want (I am not a gamer and used to Intel processors and to onboard), you can have a second harddisk (one for WIN 7 ... and one for WIN 98SE ??).

I know I need rloews patch for the too large RAM. but what about the other drivers.

On the site above, it says that WIN 2000 would install (I have and know all the updates, such as sesp30b4; Kernelex 4.5 RC 1; RP965: (MDIECU634); etc

And I will have two harddisks (I have a promotional offer)

What do you think ?

Thanks for your help

Roger

nvidia chipset don't have a driver (official or not)

• 4 weeks later...