Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98 (discussion)

i notice that K8N Neo Platinum support website mentions it cannot use nforce on Windows 98 or Windows ME, but i noticed you can download drivers for Windows 98 and ME and was wondering if a K8N Neo Platinum can Support running Windows 98? :o

nforce 3 and earlier officially support win 98.

The K8N Neo Platinum has a nforce 4 chipset which is not officially supported.

You can install win98 on it though. (I am typing this on a computer running win 98 with an nforce 4 chipset.)

Using a mixture of default windows drivers, nforce 3 drivers and nforce 4 drivers for win 2k

You may not be able to use the onboard sound or network card though.

I am not using the onboard sound and network card on my computer now but i did not spend much effort on making them work, because i could not get the sound card working properly under win2000 and the socket for the network card did not hold the network properly (each time my cat squeezes herself past the rear of my computer the network cable would be dislogged and i had to put it back in.)

Edited by Kwibus

Tested with Intel D201GLY2 itx board, the system works (you have to trick a bit with audio as reported in previous topics), but i had problems with memory.

I'm stuck with a 1gb ram module. This way the system doesn't boot (complaining that ram is not enough), so i had to boot in dos mode and modify the system.ini file in order to limit the ram to 768 mb (i added "MaxPhysPage=30000" under the "[386Enh]" section). Don't know if this is needed for smaller ram modules too.

I had problems with sata too (now i'm using 2 ide devices with sata disabled), but i have to test it better (official W98 drivers exist).

• 1 month later...

Only for the record:

I use a MBO Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L, and neither Gigabyte nor Intel, the chipset manufacturer, provide any drivers at all for Windows 98.

In spite of that I installed Windows 98 thanks to the tutorials of cannie as a second OS (the comp has 1 GB memory), but only for cloning and maintenance purposes of XP. Even so the experience pays.

HTH.

PS: The links for the tutorials are:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=118623

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=129983

Edited by seaweed

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, I can tell you the possibility to use the msi x48c configured as follows

BIOS

default bios

LAN disabled

sound disabled

ide

SATA RAID enabled

PCI Support

Sound Blaster PCI 128 (removed changes in config.sys/autoexec.bat)

Realtek LAN

3112 SATA controller

qx6800

500gb seagate 7200.12 hd

2gb ram v-data 800 ddr2

Install OS

1) installed before on a motherboard asrock 775i65g

2) Unofficial Windows 98 SP 2.1

3) USB Maximus Decim

4) HIMEMX

5) ....

6) ..

7) improved installation tab msi, driver inf to x48

result:

Sound ok

lan ok

SATA1 ok

cd/dvd ok

floppy ok

usb ok

partial success nvidia 8800 gt 512mb driver VBEMP x86 Project

(1024x1280 60hz no hardware acceleration)

Hi,I would like to share with you my short experience with this mobo:

Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G

WinNT4 boots with latest UNIATA 0.39j2 that supports new ICH8-10 released by BW, thanks to him.

My further testing was aimed to DOS and Win98.

DOS is OK, it sees SATA drives as standard IDE on legacy ports/IRQ. Except the PATA controller

Jmicron - I had to use special driver gcdrom.sys to be able to use PATA CD/DVD drivers.

I tested that ICH10 IDE was much slower than ICH7 (15MB/s vs 35MB/s).

For Win98 I did some INF file modding (I will upload it for other testers soon) and it booted

and detected most of HW resources but there are 3 problems:

1) USB2.0 doesn't work (I got 1.1 slow speed) because of problem on USB 2.0 root hub in device manager (I use NUSB 3.3 cz)

2) HDD works in some compatability extreme slow mode and I cannot see drives in device manager.

There are SATA controller and standard dualport PCI dual fifo controller marked /!\. I messed

aroud with it but I couldn't fix it.

3) Jmicron controller is totally missing, PATA optical drives are inacessible.

Before I can do more testing the mobo has died (fall into endless restarting loop, clear cmos didn't helped, replacing cpu/ram, nothing..)

and I RMA it and changed it by another mobo with P41+ICH7 for better compatability.

Did anybody else succeed with ICH8/9/10?

Edited by xrayer

Hi,I would like to share with you my short experience with this mobo:

Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G

WinNT4 boots with latest UNIATA 0.39j2 that supports new ICH8-10 released by BW, thanks to him.

My further testing was aimed to DOS and Win98.

DOS is OK, it sees SATA drives as standard IDE on legacy ports/IRQ. Except the PATA controller

Jmicron - I had to use special driver gcdrom.sys to be able to use PATA CD/DVD drivers.

I tested that ICH10 IDE was much slower than ICH7 (15MB/s vs 35MB/s).

For Win98 I did some INF file modding (I will upload it for other testers soon) and it booted

and detected most of HW resources but there are 3 problems:

1) USB2.0 doesn't work (I got 1.1 slow speed) because of problem on USB 2.0 root hub in device manager (I use NUSB 3.3 cz)

2) HDD works in some compatability extreme slow mode and I cannot see drives in device manager.

There are SATA controller and standard dualport PCI dual fifo controller marked /!\. I messed

aroud with it but I couldn't fix it.

3) Jmicron controller is totally missing, PATA optical drives are inacessible.

Before I can do more testing the mobo has died (fall into endless restarting loop, clear cmos didn't helped, replacing cpu/ram, nothing..)

and I RMA it and changed it by another mobo with P41+ICH7 for better compatability.

Did anybody else succeed with ICH8/9/10?

A Patch is required to properly support SATA Drives as well as a modified .INF File.

The JMicron Driver may be reporting as a RAID Driver. I have a separate .INF File that supported a JMicron SATA RAID Card.

A Patch is required to properly support SATA Drives as well as a modified .INF File.

The JMicron Driver may be reporting as a RAID Driver. I have a separate .INF File that supported a JMicron SATA RAID Card.

I tried to patch INF files. I filled PCI dev IDs according to latest INF files from intel's winxp/vista package.

It also detected native SATA controller correctly but ! mark was around standard dual fifo ide.

Anyway I have no longer this board available so cannot perform further tetst. But if someone dosn't

want a headache I recommend to buy ICH7 equipped mobo.

Edited by xrayer

I tried to patch INF files. I filled PCI dev IDs according to latest INF files from intel's winxp/vista package.

It also detected native SATA controller correctly but ! mark was around standard dual fifo ide.

Anyway I have no longer this board available so cannot perform further tetst. But if someone dosn't

want a headache I recommend to buy ICH7 equipped mobo.

Adding Device ID's to the .INF is not enough. Native mode requires other changes to the .INF file and a Patch to the ESDI_506.PDR File.

Adding Device ID's to the .INF is not enough. Native mode requires other changes to the .INF file and a Patch to the ESDI_506.PDR File.

OK, but I had set IDE legacy mode in setup (drives was on port 170/1F0, IRQ14/15) that you cannot recognize it is not normal IDE. I didn't need native SATA support. There was dual PCI standard controller in device manager but not working. Maybe it was collision of native SATA. I tried to disable it in device manager but didn't helped. When I tried to remove this dual PCI controller it freezed.

And the Jmicron - it needs only inf file not any sys driver? There was JMicron 368. I wondered it was not detected as unknown device.

Edited by xrayer

OK, but I had set IDE legacy mode in setup (drives was on port 170/1F0, IRQ14/15) that you cannot recognize it is not normal IDE. I didn't need native SATA support. There was dual PCI standard controller in device manager but not working. Maybe it was collision of native SATA. I tried to disable it in device manager but didn't helped. When I tried to remove this dual PCI controller it freezed.

How many "Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller" entries are there?

If more than one, a Native SATA Controller was recognized incorrectly, in addition to the Legacy Mode Controller.

You may need to go into Safe Mode to remove the entry.

And the Jmicron - it needs only inf file not any sys driver? There was JMicron 368. I wondered it was not detected as unknown device.

If you added the PCI ID for the JMicron to an .INF File, it will be recognized as the INF directs rather than as an Unknown Device, even if it is incorrectly configured.

How many "Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller" entries are there?

If more than one, a Native SATA Controller was recognized incorrectly, in addition to the Legacy Mode Controller.

You may need to go into Safe Mode to remove the entry.

There was one Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller + primary channel dual FIFO, secondary channel dual FIFO, but also some primary and secondary channel single FIFO and 2-3 SATA entries which was detected OK. Unfoirtunatelly I didn't captured a screenshot and I have no longer this MB for further test. So to sum up, new MCH is not problem - new ICH may be problem but can be replaced by external PCI IDE/SATA controller as paoloapaolo tried. And remains USB 2.0 root hub...

Yesterday I made working my Win98se on G41+ICH7, it only needs to add new MCH and PCIE bridge to inf. It works fine.

Edited by xrayer