Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98 (discussion)

BTW,

This MOBO uses the very same chipset and has 2 IDE channels, but 2 PCI Slots: http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/mb/content.php?S_ID=141

This one is fully compatible too. :hello:

I was able to get it working, just like the MSI’s one, described above.

The BIOS menu was little too complicated, though.

Since I was playing with both MOBOs, I’d say I’d go for the MSI now and then, it looks a bit better to me.

I had to go for the Biostar, as I needed several MOBOs, while the MSI importer for Bulgaria ran out of stock with K9MM-V, because I bought the last available ones. The company hardly believe, it will import this model any further.

So my advice is:

If you need a modern MOBO for Win98, grab one of those babies, while you can!

You'll get AM2 and DDR2 capabilities. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Taiwan power (VIA, MSI, Biostar) rocks under Win98!!! :thumbup

Cheers!

@Analada:

Are you using the NUSB stuff available from this forum on it ok?

Works OK!

Edited by tonich

This MBO are supporting Windows 98 SE in May 2008:

Classic Windows 98 (AGP)

Intel

AsRock 4CoreDual-VSTA chipset Via PT880 Ultra Chipset FSB 1066 all AGP MBO

AsRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 Via PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra Chipsets FSB 1066 AGP MBO

AsRock 775i65G chipset Intel 865, FSB 1066 AGP

AsRock Conroe865GV Intel 865,

Gigabyte 8I865GME-775-RH (rev 6.6), s775, i865G, VGA FSB 800

ECS P4M800PRO-M3 (V3.0) FSB 1066

AMD

AsRock AM2NF3-VSTA AGP support for processors AM2 and AM2+

DFI K8T800 Pro Alf socket 754

MSI K9MM-V FSB 1600, AMD64x2 until 5200+

MSI K8T Neo2-F v2.0, socket 939 until 4800+

Integrated with GPU which is supporting Windows 98

Intel

Abit IP95 FSB 1066 VIA® UniChrome Pro 2D/ 3D Graphics

Abit IS-671, FSB 1066 Integrated SIS Mirage™ 3 DX9.0 GPU

ECS 662/1066T-M2 (V1.0) FSB 1066, Integrated SiS Mirage 1 2D/3D Graphics with 128 MB,

ECS 671T-M (V1.0) FSB 1066, SiS Mirage 3 with 256 MB,.

ECS P4M890T-M2 (V1.0B) FSB 1066, S3 UniChrome Pro with 64 MB.

Asus P5VD2-VM SE (series). FSB 1066, 256 MB IGP

Asus P5S-MX SE, FSB 1066, VGA Integrated SIS Mirage 3 support 256 MB

MSI P4M900M3-L FSB 1066, S3 Graphics Chrome9 HC

MSI PM9M-V FSB 1066, VIA UniChrome

Foxconn 671MX, FSB1333, SiS Mirage 3

Foxconn P4M9007MB (series), FSB 1066, Via graphic card.

AMD

MSI K9VGM-V FSB 2000, VIA Chrome9 graphics processor,

ASUS M2V-MX SE Integrated VIA DeltaChrome GPU

Foxconn K8M890M2MB (series), FSB 2000, Via GPU

Foxconn 761MX, FSB 2000, SiS GPU

Hybrid chipset for AMD:

AsRock ALiveDual-eSATA2 AGP support for processors AM2 and AM2+

Comment:

Classic Windows 98 MBO are supporting our best OS without any problem and there is no problem with official drivers (from chipset producers site)

Integrated MBO can be problem. For example I will take MBO with greatest FSB: Foxconn 671MX. Chipset producer (SiS) is giving GPU drivers but nothing more. Ulmost all other Via and SiS chipsets are having full Windows 98 SE support (drivers)

In creating PC configuration for Windows 98 SE it is better to use UDMA (ATA) hard drives because SATA drivers can create very interesting problems.

Biostar is not on the list because I can't find this MBO-s in the shops.

All MBO on this list are having official drivers.

Edited by Rjecina

As I’ve already stated above, I’ve built several system, based on VIA K8M800 chipset (MSI K9MM-V and Biostar K8M800 Micro AM2 in particular) with ONLY SATA HDDs. After enable RAID MODE in BIOS and installing VIA RAID driver, the computers are stable 100 %. I have had enough time playing around with the configurations for about 10 day now.

Cheers!

As I’ve already stated above, I’ve built several system, based on VIA K8M800 chipset (MSI K9MM-V and Biostar K8M800 Micro AM2 in particular) with ONLY SATA HDDs. After enable RAID MODE in BIOS and installing VIA RAID driver, the computers are stable 100 %. I have had enough time playing around with the configurations for about 10 day now.

Cheers!

Yes you are right but you forget 2 problems.

1) Greatest number of users is having very little experiance with Windows installation and they do not like to play with BIOS. They want automatic installation and you will agree that with ATA hard drivers there is automatic instalation.

2) There is small number of new MBO which do not have Windows 98 SE SATA drivers (example Foxconn 671MX)

Can you please create list of Biostar MBO-s which support Windows 98 SE, it is possible to buy in shops and which are on company web site ?

As for Bulgaria, after browsing the official Biostar importer’s site, I can see only 1 motherboard available for sell for the time being:

AMD:

K8M800 Micro AM2

Somewhere else it is possible to have something more, but this is just in Bulgaria. Biostar has many MOBOs with VIA (especially for Intel processors), so anything with VIA should be an option. If there is a local importer for Biostar.

Cheers!

Edited by tonich

• 2 weeks later...

The Biostar P4M900 doesnt have video drivers for 98. I tried the 9x drivers for other boards that was on the CD but none would work. Sniff, sniff, please excuse me Im having a Kleenex moment

Hi,

Please, try this one: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/157635

or

This one: http://drivers.viaarena.com/cn896_vista_15...0316170329).zip

Please, let us know if it works!

It seems that VIA has cut off Win98 support for this chip, in order to gain a f*cking Vista license from Microsoft. Looks like a dirty deal to me... :realmad:

EDIT:

Well, it seems that P4M900 is a NO-NO for Windows 98: http://www.tkarena.com/forums/video-graphi...00mc-win98.html

Thus, I have to remove it from the list above.

Apologizes to everyone for the misinformation.

G8YMW, I do hope your dealer would be kind enough to replace the MOBO

Cheers!

Edited by tonich

Maybe I am mistaking but this is normal situation and MBO will work with drivers from internet.

From few days ago I am owner of new Gigabyte Nvidia 6x00 card. It is interesting to notice that in PDF book it is writen how this GPU support only Windows 2000, XP and Vista but after looking on CD you will find Windows 98 SE drivers (My only reason for buying this card)

With this I want to say that because of bussiness agreements they will play drivers games but until drivers are on internet Windows 98 SE will work :)

Edited by Rjecina

Looking for a LAPTOP that could run windows 98.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I have found the information that follows in the news.

I understand that this PC will be able to some extent to run WINDOWS98 (beeing able to use the Hyperion Pro drivers).

Any comment?

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=29FC1D81-...1A58B504148B4B9

_________________________________________________________________________________

"Via releases laptop design as open source

Via Technologies released the hardware design for a low-cost laptop with WiMax support under an open-source license on Tuesday, a move intended to make customization easier and shorten design cycles for system makers."

"he OpenBook is based on Via's 1.6 GHz C7-M processor and VX800 chipset. The design includes an 8.9-inch screen with a resolution of 1,024 pixels by 600 pixels and calls for a hard disk with a capacity of 80G bytes or more. The basic wireless module included in the design supports Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Optional modules include Assisted GPS (AGPS), WiMax, and support for high-speed cellular networks based on EV-DO (Evolution Data Optimized), HSPA (High-Speed Packet Access), and WCDMA (Wideband Code Division Multiple Access).

Other features of the 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) OpenBook include a full-size keyboard, up to 2G bytes of DDR (double data rate) memory, a 2-megapixel camera, a memory-card reader, and a 4-cell battery that offers up to three hours of life. The laptop is designed to run Windows Vista, Windows XP, or Linux, including G/OS, SuSE Linux, and Ubuntu."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited by vick1111

You are having on Via site Windows 98 SE chipset drivers, SATA drivers but there is question about IGP drivers because on the drivers list there is no VX800 chipset IGP drivers.

It is possible to try IGP drivers of CN896 (VIA Chrome9™ integrated graphics) because IGP is similar. Via data about IGP for CN896 is :"VIA Chrome9™ HC integrated graphics processor" and data for VX800U is "VIA Chrome9™ HC3 integrated graphics". This number 3 can create problems !

Now is clear that Via has ended Windows 98 SE support because they have not created IGP drivers for VX800 but they have created only Windows XP and Vista drivers !!! :realmad: