Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98 (discussion)

I did short test, boot into Dos prompt renamed some file a copied 50MB file is was fine, im even able to boot into safe mode, even there copy file was fine, i removed (purgehdc p a) Sata controller (only 1 is here),
rebooted into normal mode, Sata controller was detected, reboot - c: writing problem - i have 215 MB free on HDD it is i hope enough for just boot..

Before Desktop appears, but not immediately after windows boot logo i would say that it is in the second part of loading. I will check bootlog.

Update bootlog is quite long, hangs on Sata driver:

[000CFC0F] DEVICEINITSUCCESS   = SPOOLER 
[000CFC0F] DEVICEINIT   = UDF     
[000CFC0F] DEVICEINITSUCCESS   = UDF     
[000CFC0F] DEVICEINIT   = VFAT    
[000CFC0F] DEVICEINITSUCCESS   = VFAT    
[000CFC0F] DEVICEINIT   = VDEF    
[000CFC0F] DEVICEINITSUCCESS   = VDEF    
[000CFC0F] Initing vclone.mpd
[000CFC09] Init Success vclone.mpd
[000CFC09] Initing esdi_506.pdr

Edited by ruthan

Another unexpected Driver. What is VCLONE.MPD?

CloneCD virtual driver, tested on other machine, but what about GPT 3TB disc on second Asmedia port, could that be a difference(i know that im writing on different disc, but..), or its entairly ignore, i would how about testing with GPT you did?

Standard GPT disks would be ignored by Windows 9x. Hybrid or my Mixed GPT and MBR disks may not. 

You are right, i even disconnected GPT disc its same, so patch is simply dont like my Asmedia controller.
  BTW im already in contact with Asrock Bios/uefi team, they were nice enough to implement, per Sata port enable / disable for this board and trying to add hotplug for Asmedia port.. I had some other issues with this board in other OS - in Windows 7 is HDD on Asmedia port marked as removable SCSI device and when i start HWinfo - disc is disconnected to cold powerdown and when i run R-Drive image and scan list of partition i got machine freeze, it could be only Asmedia driver issues..

But i want to say, if you see some way how they should adjust PCI devs settings (scanpci result), write it here or sent it to me by mail, i will try to ask, they are quite open to fixing, its right opposite of my MSI / GB experience with UEFI issues fixing. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/5/2007 at 11:51 PM, modicr said:

OTOH, has anyone installed Win98SE on

Intel 965 motherboard (with ICH8) ?

I had searched only to find a others asking same questions... So, this is my experiment result:

I have Thinkpad X61, which is Intel 965 with ICH8. My fixed disk has WinXP on NTFS, so I did experiment on a USB-HDD.

I tried two ways: First, installed a functional win98se on usb disc in Virtualbox, tested everything OK, then boot host machine with usb disc. It failed with hang, no doubt. Automatic hardware adaption seems cannot work with too different hardware.

Second, install directly on real machine. Copy everything in CD to usb disk, boot from usb disk (it has already made bootable to DOS), run setup with all relevant parameters (got them by setup /? ; It will boost setup process and avoid several hang or error). The setup process will detect hardware, hang for long time, reset, hang again, reset, hang again,...I forgot time and what made me persist was one time it made a little progress after long unresponsive hang... and it finally passed! The display was 640*480, 4bit; opened device manager and saw lots of yellow devices, 13 or 15 maybe, some are labeled disabled because it is unresponsive during setup, some are just unknown, and strangely it showed an IR device but I checked that X61 has no such a thing. Then I guess that maybe I could have reset more quickly to let setup program skip those problematic hardware. Then I tried  install drivers. For display, as in Virtualbox, I tried Scitech driver, and it works in LCD's native 1024*768 32bit. But for Intel HD audio, there is no luck. For network driver, no wireless;  ethernet 82566MM has no driver either, although it could use the same driver of pro/1000 in Virtualbox under DOS.

So at last I got a crippled system lack of sound and network. I share this to let others know what you could get best, and hoping maybe someone could go further

Intel HD audio is no go.. my would need USB sound card and some USB ethernet and wireless adapter and which is working with Windows 98.. But regardless with such setup i would say that Virtualization is better, physical machine have sense mainly for good 3D graphics experience => games, i doubt that some would still model under Windows 98 or something like that.

@luweitest Run the setup with the
/p i

switch, there's a space between p and i. It should solve most setup issues.
Also try to put HIMEMX.EXE in CONFIG.SYS, download HIMEMX from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/himemx/

It solves many problems with Windows 98 on more modern PCs
You also have to limit the RAM via MaxPhysPage iv you're not doing that already (1GB or less).

For graphic drivers, you can also use VBEMP from here: http://www.navozhdeniye.narod.ru/vbe9x.htm

For sound, as ruthan mentioned, use a cheap USB Sound Card, Windows 98 has drivers for it builtin.

7 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

@luweitest Run the setup with the
/p i

switch, there's a space between p and i. It should solve most setup issues.
Also try to put HIMEMX.EXE in CONFIG.SYS, download HIMEMX from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/himemx/

It solves many problems with Windows 98 on more modern PCs
You also have to limit the RAM via MaxPhysPage iv you're not doing that already (1GB or less).

For graphic drivers, you can also use VBEMP from here: http://www.navozhdeniye.narod.ru/vbe9x.htm

For sound, as ruthan mentioned, use a cheap USB Sound Card, Windows 98 has drivers for it builtin.

I've tried most of you said:

Setup /p j (j, not i) is only needed in virtualbox. On real X61 windows 98 setup successfully identified ACPI device.

I used xmsdsk, or himemx, or manually plug off a memory bank to solve large RAM problem (I have two 1G bank). They all work I think. It is worth mention of Emm386: in config.sys, either do not load EMM386, or use combination of "dos=auto" and "emm386 ram". The normal NoEMS option will cause system halt.

Thanks for the graphic and sound recommendation. Scitech driver is good enough, and external usb device is not what I was thinking of.

• 4 months later...

Anyone ever get a am3 790fx chipset running? Seems like it has enough to make this possible just obviously drivers only go as low as xp. Was thinking of using my x850xt pci in primary slot and 5870 on the 2nd pcie slot. 

• 4 weeks later...