Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98 (discussion)

Fried fish are muich tastier than downloaded ones.

Well, I meant downloading as opposed to catching, with the same frying afterwards, though you are right, fish downloaded from FTP tend to have a slight mud aftertaste ;).

jaclaz

Meant?

Now it is your turn on the hot seat for inaccurate nitpicking.

Meant?

Now it is your turn on the hot seat for inaccurate nitpicking.

Sorry can't do, I need to use the hot seat to fry some downloaded fishes, I got 'em through Torrent and they do smell fishy ;) however.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Almost. Make sure your CPU/heatsink combo will both generate and handle the 160+ degrees necessary to properly cook the fish without frying your whole system. And when you order the chips to go with the fish, select only those with Win9x drivers.

• 3 weeks later...

I have something to add to this and I'm also hoping to find a little help with some issues I'm having with a newer board. I have an MSI K9VGM-V which has the K8M890 chipset. Which I think was pretty much the last VIA chip to support 98 much. I have been able to get one going with an IDE drive and was able to load drivers for all of the onboard devices except for the audio.

I have two problems with this chipet/board.

1. Lack of onboard audio. It is a realtek ALC883 chip. From research it seems maybe, there really is no driver to support it, I have read some saying that any HD chip will not work with 98 and there are no drivers for it. Onboard audio with 98 seems to overall be the biggest PITA when configuring various 98 systems... Is there really no driver in existence for this chip for 98SE?

2. 98 seems to function fine until I try to put it on this board with a SATA drive rather than and IDE drive. BIOS is in IDE mode. I can do two things, one, I can start a new install from the 98 cd and I can get as far as the first reboot, after it load files, the part where it would normally ask for the key. Or, the second scenario is that I can take a clone image from one that I have finished already with IDE drive, put it on a SATA drive, and it will boot fine and start loading drivers & go through all the prompts, when it reboots, it will sit at a black screen. If I hit f8 fast enough, I can get into safe mode and it seems to work fine. I suspect it being an IDE controller driver but I'm not really sure what to do.

You probably need my SATA Patch.

Do the USB2.0-ports on your Asus M5A97 work with the NUSB-drivers?

Could you give a screenshot of your "System", so i could see what is "not working"?

Does "AHCI crashes" mean, you have to disable it in BIOS?

(Man, i really would like to retire my ALiveDual-eSATA2, and run my Phenom II X4 on W98SE with a more modern MoBo... :)

I am using the ME Versions of USB 1 and USBSTOR on my M5A97.

The USB 2 is from NUSB. The Drivers are.Version 5.0.2195.

It works fine.

The non-working "System" entries are

1 Direct Memory Access Controller

2 Motherboard Resources

The SATA Controller can usually be placed in IDE, RAID or AHCI Mode.

AHCI and most RAID setups use AHCI Mode. Set to IDE Mode.

You still probably need my SATA Patch unless you can set it to Legacy Mode as well.

Interesting question for you all. I have installed Windows 98 on a ZEB-945 motherboard. In order to get SATA working, I used Compatible mode and that's fine. Now, there's an option to switch to AC'97 mode. I turned that on, and tried drivers upon drivers, but non of them work.

Any solution?

Additionally, I want to know how to install the DOS Ndis2 drivers for the Realtek Ethernet on this board.

Edited by AnX

What's the DEV and VID of that AC'97 Audio?

You can see it by using HWINFO.EXE /UI in Run box, and settings it up to see devices with errors.

To install NDIS2 drivers, just use the Add New Hardware wizard, after it scans, just use the Have Disk thingy.

I tried them on my Lenovo Z510 laptop, but they failed.

Well I tried doing the same with Windows 2000 and it failed too. So it seems the AC'97 implementation is non-existent. The machine works great under windows 2000 with all devices supported, but with 98 its a bit of a struggle.

To get audio within 2000, i re-enabled HD audio and that works fine.

Edited by AnX

• 3 months later...

I think i can now savely add this board to the list:

GA-870A-USB3 Rev 3.1 (AM3+)

Caveats:

Onboard USB2 installs with NUSB, but does not work - you absolutely NEED an compatible USB2-AddIn card, or you'll have no mouse, as it only has one PS/2-port.

No driver for onboard sound.

Onboard LAN 8111E probably only via NDIS2-Driver.

Has two PCI and enough PCIe 1x Slots to fill up with AddIn-cards.