Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98 (discussion)

>LoneCrusader

Thanks for the INF update, I'll try during weekend :)

I'd like to put INFs into my existing installation so I will remove conflicting older INF for P3x chipset first...

EDIT: INF thread is here

Edited by xrayer

>LoneCrusader

Thanks for the INF update, I'll try during weekend :)

I'd like to put INFs into my existing installation so I will remove conflicting older INF for P3x chipset first...

You're welcome! :thumbup

I'll be looking forward to your report. Please do post it in my INF thread so I can keep track of all the reports and testing related to the project in one place.

I know what you meant about removing the older INF since you are upgrading but for the record my INF's are completely cumulative and should cover the older P3x chipsets as well; so no data or functionality for the older system would be lost by using the newer files. Please let me know if you see any VID&PID combinations that do not exist in one of my INFs, whether they are older or newer.

• 1 month later...

I also asked Realtek support if they will upgrade the W9x driver, just for fun :)

Did you ever get an answer? Maybe we should all email them with the same request...  :angel  lol

Of course not, as nVidia and some else I mailed e.g. for publishing some specification before. If you are not a big company that makes busyness with them nobody really cares, but I still try sometimes... :)

BTW it's very different for small HW companies like DMP that makes their own x86 SoC and embedded boards (Vortex86) who have really kind support on theirs forum...

Edited by xrayer

Of course not, as nVidia and some else I mailed e.g. for publishing some specification before. If you are not a big company that makes busyness with them nobody really cares, but I still try sometimes... :)

BTW it's very different for small HW companies like DMP that makes their own x86 SoC and embedded boards (Vortex86) who have really kind support on theirs forum...

Might help to also ask them to give you the source code for the last 9x driver as Drugwash pointed out, especially since it's for an unsupported and outdated operating system. What would they have to lose by allowing others to work on it if they don't want to? Probably won't change their minds but at least you give them something to think about.

Might help to also ask them to give you the source code for the last 9x driver as Drugwash pointed out, especially since it's for an unsupported and outdated operating system. What would they have to lose by allowing others to work on it if they don't want to? Probably won't change their minds but at least you give them something to think about.

Realtek has some unified driver - sys file, that also was used for W2K and XP (that is obsolete now too, except XPE) so they may not want to disclose it. I don't remember other case where some company released public sources of their drivers. Simply Windows platform is closed source by default.

BTW it's interesting that they still develop DOS drivers (god bless them for it)...

Edited by xrayer

BTW it's interesting that they still develop DOS drivers (god bless them for it)...

DOS is a limited OS. M$ are not afraid of it. It's also used in many embedded devices and whatnot so there probably was a huge demand from solid clients to keep compatibility. On the other hand Win9x family is extremely capable and - most importantly - very hard (if not impossible) to control, so M$ wants to get rid of every trace of that OS family as soon as possible. My strong belief is that they somehow coerced each and every hardware manufacturer to stop producing 9x drivers for their newer devices although that might not have negatively impacted very much- if at all - those manufacturers. That is why I strongly believe that M$ should be put to sleep forever as soon as possible before we lose every single bit of privacy and sanity. And the rest of them should remember that the world is actually about people, as in human beings, not robots or garbage such as Cortana.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't wonder if MS have such intentions pushed to manufacturers. But I can imagine that DOS is used in embedded and industry more than Win9x so there may have more demand for DOS drivers. BTW DMP Vortex86EX SoC also have DOS packet driver as they support FreeDOS as development platform. Also it's more easy to write a packet driver than some VXD/WDM hell for Win9x so I understand that manufacurers don't want waste time for a few remaning Win9x users. Fortunately Win9x can cooperate with realmode DOS drivers so problem solved :)

And yes, I read an article with quotes of some MS-man about how strong they are pushing Win10 against all existing OSes, including Win7 and 8.x. They are doing all they can to force users to update, even talking ambiguously about older OS quality and security. And the time is playing for them. After a few years the support for Win7/8 will end and it fall into the same trap of HW incompatability like Win9x/2k/XP is now. They simple want to get all users into new cage of SaaS (System as a Service) to gain more control of user system and data. But who would wonder in nowdays f*kin world, they just learned from Google and Apple ;)

If I wouldn't need to use a lot of specific SW and HW linked to MS platform at work I switch to Linux but now it's not alternative for me. And virtualization is also not 100% working solution...

Linux is pushing updates just the same. I've already had such an update that broke and applet/desklet/whatever and editing such thing to make it work is a huge PITA, if at all possible. I can edit a Firefox addon to make it compatible with an out-of-range version or with Pale Moon, for example, but I couldn't get that Linux thingie to work. And to think it was a trivial non-issue such as an icon file (!!!) being present in a package that shouldn't (?) have been in.

Unfortunately we live in a purely commercial world, not in a humane world, so nobody will ever build the perfect product because they think they'll immediately go out of business. And everything, just everything in the world is related to this kind of thinking, which in turn relates to money. It's always, ALWAYS about the money. Nothing more, nothing less. :(

Fried fish are muich tastier than downloaded ones.

Well, I meant downloading as opposed to catching, with the same frying afterwards, though you are right, fish downloaded from FTP tend to have a slight mud aftertaste ;).

jaclaz