Batch install Windows Updates

I have used windows update to get my windows installation up to date. :)

How do I extract these update files from a running system (i assume windows keeps a backup of the .cat file or something?) and use them in the future if I rebuild my system? (or to give to someone else who doesn't have the download capability)

Or do I have to individually download each KBxxxxxx.exe file and do it that way? :no:

you can use http://wud.jcarle.com/ to download them all.

A script can be written to install them.

Something like:

FOR /F %%I IN (*.exe) DO start /wait /Dy: %%I /Q

Only problem here: It will install all the updates, even when they are allready installed.

You can make a custum bat file:

ECHO WindowsXP-KB929969-x86-NLD.exe

REG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB929969" > nul 2>&1

IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (

ECHO is allready installed

) ELSE (

ECHO Installing...

WindowsXP-KB929969-x86-NLD.exe /quiet /norestart

SET /A NUMOFUPDATES+=1

ECHO Installation complete

)

But than you have to do this for every update. And not all the updates have the same way of installing. (I have a complete script, I guess..)

An other option is the autopatcher (www.autopatcher.com)

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I've gone with the AutoPatcher option.

It's simple, effective, and updatable for later on. And i can add it to a windows install disc whenever I make a new version.

Thanks

I have wrote a VBS Script that ment to add your Updates to your XPCD. All you need

is a XPCD directory and the Updates to add to the XPCD. The Updates can be in any

place on the local hard drive or partitions, the script does not need to be in the same

folder as the updates.

Edited by gunsmokingman

• 5 weeks later...

I think you both are missing the point of this tool. The tools you are talking about are for slipstreaming. What would you do if you downloaded these hotfixes after you installed Windows? It would be impractical to slipstream a new DVD every month. That is why this tool was designed. Because I download these hotfixes manually, I had to edit a batch file in the past for every hotfix manually. This tool does it AUTOMATICALLY. I hate Windows update so I prefer to do it this way, and I am sure others will too. Besides, I am offering this tool for free. So don't look a Gift Horse in the mouth. But I appreciate your input. But if you prefer to slipstream a DVD every month, than that is up to you.

does the tool checks if the update is allready installed?

And can I use it for office updates?

edit: seems pretty useless. I can do the same with a bat file...

Edited by Telenut

does the tool checks if the update is allready installed?

And can I use it for office updates?

edit: seems pretty useless. I can do the same with a bat file...

Your right. If you want to keep typing. But I type enough at work. I would rather use this tool to generate a bat file for me. But if you rather type a new bat file or edit an existing one, go right ahead. But I reiterate, This TOOL IS FREEEEEEEE!!!! Have fun. IF you want to write War & Peace every time you want to install a hotfix, then this is worthless to you.

I could modified the script to install the updates, that is not a problem. I wrote it to intergrate the updates into a UaCD or

UaDVD. The advantage my script has over yours tool.

It can be ran from anywhere on the computer.

It does not require all the updates to be in one folder as it searches all folders on the hard drives looking for the KB's.

If I wanted to install the updates then the script could be modified to run against a machine on the network.

Here is a script that produces a HTA that will list all installed updates and ones that are not installed, it produces

a HTA for you to read. I will in later versions of this script have it download and install the updates silent. This is

a SFX that acts like a exe, so the script gets deleted, if you want to read the source code just extract the script

to read it.

Change the varible for the desktop, to what geezery posted.

Rpt_Updates.exe

Edited by gunsmokingman

Rpt = Act.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%UserProfile%\desktop\" & CN & "_KbReport.hta")

This line won't work in Finnish Windows XP. If I change that to a static path it works.

Interesting. I can probably have my tool do that automatically, but my finnish grammar is bad.

I never said that I didnt or couldnt write a tool to search all the folders on the drive. What I am saying is that it would be foolish of me to invest the time into writing a complex tool without monetary compensation. Again, this is a free tool. I am testing to see if there is an interest in a tool to do this before I invest my time in creating and selling something like that. And I am kind of surprised to read the responses of people complaining about getting FREE SOFTWARE.. If someone were to give you a Million Dollars, would you complain if it is in small bills?

I use a little script utility called CTUpdate.

Itll go and grab all the updates for Win 2k/XP/Server 2003.

And will then make an iso of all the updates, either one cd per OS, or a dvd with all of em on it.

The autorun starts right when you click on the disc and begins looking at what updates you need and what you dont have and then proceeds to install away.

Never seen it install anything that was already installed, in fact I know it doesnt and skips the updates..

Might wanna give that one a shot..

http://www.vulnerabilityassessment.co.uk/ctupdate.htm