Matching a card with an old barton 3200+

weEvil

I'm looking for a good card to match with my old Barton 3200+ I got lying around. Seeing as how I'm buying a new PC soon, I figure its a good time to breathe some new life into my old wares.

I'm looking at a 6600GT to match with a XP 3200+ (well actually its a 2500+ at 3200+ speed with same cache).

Is that too much for this processor? Can a 3200+ take advantage of the power of the 6600GT? If not what will?

I'm looking for the best match for it. What card makes out the CPU? nVidia would be nice as they have a better value (bang for buck) than ATi.

Also I was pondering a 7300GT instead of a 6600GT. Apparently its got less bandwidth and fill rate than the 6600GT though. So what's the difference then? Is the 7300 DirectX9.0c and the 6600 DirectX 9.0b? And what would that mean if its the case?

Input please.

(Oh yeah, and I'm adding way more ram too but that's another topic).

Edited by brucevangeorge

I'm looking for a good card to match with my old Barton 3200+ I got lying around. Seeing as how I'm buying a new PC soon, I figure its a good time to breathe some new life into my old wares.

I'm looking at a 6600GT to match with a XP 3200+ (well actually its a 2500+ at 3200+ speed with same cache).

Is that too much for this processor? Can a 3200+ take advantage of the power of the 6600GT? If not what will?

I'm looking for the best match for it. What card makes out the CPU? nVidia would be nice as they have a better value (bang for buck) than ATi.

Also I was pondering a 7300GT instead of a 6600GT. Apparently its got less bandwidth and fill rate than the 6600GT though. So what's the difference then? Is the 7300 DirectX9.0c and the 6600 DirectX 9.0b? And what would that mean if its the case?

Input please.

(Oh yeah, and I'm adding way more ram too but that's another topic).

I'll assume you want to play 3D games at 1280x1024 and higher resolutions.

The 6600GT is ATI 9700-esque in performance, so I'd say that's a fine match - but for the tiny difference in price I'd step it up to the 7600GT, if it's available for cheap in an AGP version (I assume your parton is AGP).

I wouldn't bother with the 7300 - significantly lower performance.

I'll assume you want to play 3D games at 1280x1024 and higher resolutions.

The 6600GT is ATI 9700-esque in performance, so I'd say that's a fine match - but for the tiny difference in price I'd step it up to the 7600GT, if it's available for cheap in an AGP version (I assume your parton is AGP).

I wouldn't bother with the 7300 - significantly lower performance.

Yup. 1280 x 1024 and AGP.

And the 6600GT only like a 9700? What was nVidia doing with the 5xxx series then?

Even an old Ti4600 I got lying around is almost as good as a 9700.

7600, whichever model will be good for that. you'll have dual DVI out and TV out....which will be able to do just about anything you throw at it. i would probably go a little lower though, its an older system, and even if its for gaming, i wouldn't blow a fortune on it, because it wont be able to redeem its price.

just one thing, don't be hatin' on the 5xxx series...i have an fx5200 PCI, and you'd be surprised how handy it can be.

because it wont be able to redeem its price.

Wha??

Why would I care? When I get done with this system... its gonna be my media centre/workstation. Hook up a HDDVD/BluRay Drive and its perfect for my HDTV.

Speaking of which.. does the 7600GT come with a component out? I know the 6600GT has a dongle for that.

And the 6600GT only like a 9700? What was nVidia doing with the 5xxx series then?

The TI4600 can't compete with the 9700. The 9700 was significantly faster per Tom's Hardware's reviews. The 6600GT is a great card; the 9700 was too - it was the best for years.

The 7600 is a little bit better, but for media center (MCE2005, Vista MC things) you need an nVidia 5200 or so - anything higher is a waste of money. Grab the cheapest 6200 AGP you can find for that.

The TI4600 can't compete with the 9700. The 9700 was significantly faster per Tom's Hardware's reviews. The 6600GT is a great card; the 9700 was too - it was the best for years.

The 7600 is a little bit better, but for media center (MCE2005, Vista MC things) you need an nVidia 5200 or so - anything higher is a waste of money. Grab the cheapest 6200 AGP you can find for that.

Dude. Don't worry about that. And by Media Centre... I got my own stuff for that. I'm using Server 2003. No way I'm installing that turd XP MCE. Ever.

Dude. Don't worry about that. And by Media Centre... I got my own stuff for that. I'm using Server 2003. No way I'm installing that turd XP MCE. Ever.

MCE is a joke anyway. It's just XP Pro with a fancy Windows Media Player thrown into it.

MCE is a joke anyway. It's just XP Pro with a fancy Windows Media Player thrown into it.

And half the compatibility.

...and one of the best and easiest-to-use DVR/PVRs out there thrown in as well. It's a great product. Have you used it?

And half the compatibility.

Since the binaries are the same, compatibility is exactly the same as well. Somebody's not familiar with the MS productline, and it's not me....

Since the binaries are the same, compatibility is exactly the same as well. Somebody's not familiar with the MS productline, and it's not me....

Well that may be, but I've had problems trying to fix a friend's MCE.

Theoretically, there should be 100% compatibility, practically its lower than that.

Anyway, back to the hardware discussion.

Edited by brucevangeorge

Well that may be, but I've had problems trying to fix a friend's MCE.

Theoretically, there should be 100% compatibility, practically its lower than that.

Anyway, back to the hardware discussion.

I'm not sure what you saw or why you had a problem with MCE, but it's the same as (as in - it IS) XP with SP2 applied at the factory. It has a few of the Pro features, and a few Pro features are disabled. If you couldn't fix it, I don't know what to tell you, but blaming XP for that is silly.

If you can point to a program that doesn't work in MCE, I'd be interested in hearing about it. If it's a TV-related program you might need to stop some of the TV-related MCE features, but aside from that, I'd be very interested in hearing what doesn't work.

For home usage, how in the world did you afford Server 2003? Doesn't that start at around $799? Pretty pricey for a media center...

I said let's get back to a hardware discussion earlier.

Now, about the 7600GT. How ell does it mach with an athlon 3200?

Or would a 6800 Ultra be a better match for it?

I don't want to put the equivalent of a 7950GT in my PC and then find out I get the same framerate and performance as a 6600GT. That's simply a waste of money.