Minor irritation from poster...

Not to be some kind of butthead, butt...

I know it can be done and a few of you do this, however...

It just irks the pee-wah-diddly out of me to view posts and see:

-Your IP is...

-Your ISP is...

-Your OpSys is...

-Your Browser is...

If I knew a good way to block that, I would just to infuriate anyone "peeking". Firewalls obviously don't stop it and I have no service (that I know of) allowing it.

So, having said that, either:

- someone tell me how to block it OR

- KNOCK IT OFF!!!!!

I resent it as much as I resent anyone looking in my windows, even if I DO leave the curtains open! :realmad:

First of all, take a chill pill. I believe the rules ask you to be polite and civil. You're more likely to get a response if you're nice. :yes: Second of all, this probably belongs in the Forum Issues thread, not here.

As for your complaint. So what? Your browser sends that information to every single site you visit. Really, it does. Paste the code below into notepad or some text editor, save it as "seeitoldyouso.html" and open it with your browser. If it's internet explorer on XP SP2, you'll need to tell the Information Bar to allow scripts on the page.

<html>
<head><title>Browser Detect</title>
</head>
<body>

<script type="text/javascript">
var x = navigator
document.write("CodeName=" + x.appCodeName)
document.write("<br />")
document.write("MinorVersion=" + x.appMinorVersion)
document.write("<br />")
document.write("Name=" + x.appName)
document.write("<br />")
document.write("Version=" + x.appVersion)
document.write("<br />")
document.write("CookieEnabled=" + x.cookieEnabled)
document.write("<br />")
document.write("CPUClass=" + x.cpuClass)
document.write("<br />")
document.write("OnLine=" + x.onLine)
document.write("<br />")
document.write("Platform=" + x.platform)
document.write("<br />")
document.write("UA=" + x.userAgent)
document.write("<br />")
document.write("BrowserLanguage=" + x.browserLanguage)
document.write("<br />")
document.write("SystemLanguage=" + x.systemLanguage)
document.write("<br />")
document.write("UserLanguage=" + x.userLanguage)
</script>

</body>
</html>

The thing is, your browser has all this info coded into itself. It's called the user agent header, and any website can see it. :sneaky: If you're paranoid and have firefox, there's an add-in to change your UA. Most websites record it in their access logs. Also, every site can see your IP address, too. Fact is, it's not a secret. At all. Besides, why does it matter? No-one else sees it. The little thing doesn't record your info anywhere; the only way anyone could see it was if they were staring over your shoulder - and then they'd already know you were using whatever you were using. It's not a big deal. If you're afraid of someone being able to see info about your computer, I suggest you try this: :whistle:

• Quick! Unplug your internet cable!
  • Press Alt-F4!
  • Find a big sheet or blanket and put it over your computer!
  • Go hide under the bed!

Seriously, why do you care? Your analogy about peering in your windows... we're not. :no:

We're looking at the front of your house. We can see what kind of windows you have - literally :rolleyes: - and we can see your address (IP) and what kind of house you have (browser) but we're not looking inside - we're on the sidewalk, and we're not seeing anything that every other person who walks down your street sees every day. And about blocking just to p*** us off. Guess what? We don't see the banner you see. It's different for everyone. If you block it, I won't even know! And I don't care, either! I do care that you want to tick us off. What did we do to you? Tell you something that anyone can find out easily enough anyway. So calm down please. Get over it. I think you can set your account to not show sigs anyway, so just do that and we'll all be happy.

Mods:

I think this should be moved to site and forum issues.

Edited by Idontwantspam

Not to be some kind of butthead, butt...

I know it can be done and a few of you do this, however...

It just irks the pee-wah-diddly out of me to view posts and see:

-Your IP is...

-Your ISP is...

-Your OpSys is...

-Your Browser is...

If I knew a good way to block that, I would just to infuriate anyone "peeking". Firewalls obviously don't stop it and I have no service (that I know of) allowing it.

So, having said that, either:

- someone tell me how to block it OR

- KNOCK IT OFF!!!!!

I resent it as much as I resent anyone looking in my windows, even if I DO leave the curtains open! :realmad:

Do keep in mind, and this may make you feel a whole lot better. When you see those signatures that say "Your IP is", there's no way to identify your IP to you personally. MSFN is the only one who can directly know that your IP goes with your username. The signature, if hosted on a third-party site, have NO IDEA which IP belongs to who. They have no way of knowing. And you can't hide your IP address from the internet because without it, you wouldn't BE on the internet.

i run some websites and my web host even has a stats page showing how many times a certain ip address has been to my site, which browser he has, what time he viewed certain pages, how much data he dloaded, etc. so all of this info is even recorded by almost every web host.

I don't know your IP.

I don't know your ISP.

I don't know your OpSys.

I don't know your browser.

All I see from this post is my IP, my ISP, my OpSys and my browser.

And I see my ISP's PAT router. :thumbup

:huh: Ok, ok!

Still an irritant, but I'll bide my piece... Rescinded....

Please remove entirely from board (save the space). ;) B)

TAiN: This will solve your problem, submix8c.
No longer a "problem". Had requested (via PM) that Martin L close and lock this thread with a rather lengthy explanation of my confusion and the rationale behind the request after he politely refused to remove the post. I believe I have already unwittingly p###ed off enough people...

Have edited this post to prevent post count incrementation....

Edited by submix8c