Should I use nlite or XPize itself to integrate?

msdemich

Hi there. Sorry if this question has already been answered. (i looked all over)

I use RyanIntegrater for SP2 and addons. Then I use nlite to cut out the crap and tweak. Then I use BTS DP. Now after this I have two options: use nlite again to integrate Xpize, or just run XPize and choose "Create Xpized Windows ISO". What is the difference? Which one should I choose? Does it matter?

Thanks

Here are 3 ways you can install XPize:

1- nLite is smart... You can add XPize as a Hotfix or AddOn and nLite will automatically know what to do, it will pause before Files Removal and Patch your Setup Files automatically (only problem with this method is the "Log Off" Dialog Box is not XPized)

2- Install XPize after you Install Windows

3- Install XPize during SVCPACK.INF, here are the instructions:

a- Create a new folder named SVCPACK

b- Put the XPize Installer in it

c- Open Notepad and create a Entries_XPize.ini file and add the following (edit the switches to install stuff as you prefer)

;======================================
; XPize by XPero AddOn by ricktendo64 |
;======================================
;/S This switch is obligatory.
;/norestore This switch will skip the creation of a System Restore point during XPize installation.
;/nouxtheme This switch will skip the uxtheme.dll patch, necessary for unsigned visual styles support.
;/nofiles This switch will skip the installation of ALL system and miscellaneous files. Only the Extras will be installed.
;/nodll This switch will skip the installation of all .dll files, except Administrative Tools, Outlook Express and 3rd party/miscellaneous ones.
;/nomsxml3 This switch will skip the installation of msxml3.dll.
;/noquartz This switch will skip the installation of quartz.dll.
;/noexe This switch will skip the installation of all .exe files, except Administrative Tools, Outlook Express and 3rd party/miscellaneous ones.
;/nocpl This switch will skip the installation of all .cpl files, except Administrative Tools, Outlook Express and 3rd party/miscellaneous ones.
;/noocx This switch will skip the installation of all .ocx files, except Administrative Tools, Outlook Express and 3rd party/miscellaneous ones.
;/noadmin This switch will skip the installation of the Administrative Tools files.
;/nooe This switch will skip the installation of Outlook Express files.
;/nomisc This switch will skip the installation of 3rd party/miscellaneous files.
;/noextras This switch will skip the installation of ALL extras.
;/novs This switch will skip the installation of the visual style.
;/noicons This switch will skip the installation of ALL custom icons.
;/noboot This switch will skip the installation of the Boot Screen.
;/nologon This switch will skip the installation of the Logon Screen.
;/nomsgina This switch will skip the installation of the Shutdown & Logoff Screen (msgina.dll).
;/noscreen This switch will skip the installation of the Screensaver.
;/notask This switch will skip the installation of TaskSwitchXP.
;/nocursors This switch will skip the installation of the Cursor Scheme.
;/nocmd This switch will skip the installation of the Command Line Colors.
;/noskins This switch will skip the installation of ALL 3rd party Software Skins.
;/nowall This switch will skip the installation of the Wallpaper.
;/lite This switch will install XPize using the Lite installation preset.
;/express This switch will install XPize using the Express installation preset.
[general]
builddate=2007/05/06
description=XPize SVCPACK Install.
language=Multilanguage
title=XPize
version=4.6
website=http://xpize.thunderhoster.com/

[EditFile]
I386\SVCPACK.INF,SetupHotfixesToRun,AddProgram

[AddProgram]
XPize46Full.exe /S /norestore /nouxtheme /nooe /novs /noboot /nologon /noscreen /notask /nocursors /nowall

d- Now ZIP, RAR, CAB or 7ZIP the edited Entries_XPize.ini and the SVCPACK folder (with the XPize installer insside) together and integrate into your Windows Source (you can find these instructions if you donwload the XPizeGuide_en.zip from the XPize site)

Edited by ricktendo64

Thanks for the help Rick.

Would i be correct to assume if I made a SVCPACK with your entries.ini file, that Xpize would install completely including the extras? The "Extras" are not installed by just integrating it with nlite.

I have used Xpize itself to mod the setup files and make the ISOs before. Seems to work okay. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use this method? (other than the "Extras" not included with this method either)

Thanks again Rick. I love your Addons BTW, I use several of them and they all work great.

You can add the /noextras switch and it will not install the extras (look at the switches above), but yes Slipstreaming takes up much less space and is a nice way of doing things, just make sure you do it after using the RVM Integrator and Updatepack then use XPize then nLite Removal then DPs Base

You can add the /noextras switch and it will not install the extras (look at the switches above), but yes Slipstreaming takes up much less space and is a nice way of doing things, just make sure you do it after using the RVM Integrator and Updatepack then use XPize then nLite Removal then DPs Base

Yeah, I want the extras, thats the thing. And the extras are not installed by using Xpixe to slipstream or integrating with nLite. (using XPize itself seems to create a slightly smaller ISO than integrating it with nLite) Sorry if I ask too many questions, but I was thinking of putting it in /OEM/$1/Install and run it with RunOnceExe (right after running RyanVMs .NET AIO). Would this work as well? or would it be best to make a switchless installer like you outlines above?

Thanks again Rick.

• 2 months later...

yeah plz, I'm interested in slipstreaming but I need (some) extras

here is the extra that I need uA:

1- Luna Royal VS

2- Logon Screens

3- Shutdown & Logoff Screens

3- Custom Icons

5- Screen Saver

6- Cursor

plz guyz, TIA ;):):D

• 3 weeks later...

I can't understand it, but even if I use GuiRunOnce, darkside doesn't install, unless I set it to auto-reboot afterwards (shutdown -r -t 0)! I think this may have something to do with the fact that normally, straight after these commands are run, the installs like 'setting Internet Explorer Preferences' etc are set, but I'm not sure...can anyone shed light on this problem?

Actually, I've just performed this mod on an original retail disk using nlite to integrate darkside...and it doesn't work. The sidebars are changed, but none of the theme thigns - background, start menu, etc......am I missing something? Sorry if I'm being stupid!

Thanks,

Wrayal

Edited by wrayal

Hello!

@GUIRunOnce: First logon of install, immediately after the settings of Internet Explorer are set programs will be ran...

The shutdown command is a bad idea...

Another point is servicepack. Its usual recommend to have an actualized Windows (Slipstreamed SP2, Hotfixes optional).

Greetings,

Chris

Edited by ChrisKuhli

It has been actualized - I've slipstreamed in absolutely everything ^_^

However, for me, guirunonce seems to run before all the IE setting up etc...otherwise, I can't quite see what would be causing this problem, and why an immediate restart would resolve it? I will try again though. Any clues what might be causing the theme to fail then?

(currently I have:

[GuiRunOnce]

<<Commands to install .net1.1 + 4 hotfixes>>

"%windir%\system32\xpize.exe /S")

Wrayal

Edited by wrayal

Case of using earlier IE as ver7 / WMPv11, you have maybe need additional switches after the "/S" for disable their patching (Read expert infos of actual XPize manual)!

2nd?

After your installation, is the XPize(Darkside) really bare? Or are the additinals only not enabled?

Edited by ChrisKuhli

Well, the patches to things like the 'add printer' dialogue are still there, but the theme is non functional.

I have IE7+WMP11 integrated, automatically with nlite. _After_ XPize install during guirunonce (I ran it non silent to check timing), I get the 'setting up personalized settings', including the message:

Setting up personalized settings for:

Themes settings

I imagine this is what is causing it, but I don't know how to prevent this :S BTW, thanks for all your help!!!

Wrayal

(out of interest, I don't think it's IE7/WMP11 - I tried it on a clean retail ISO with the same result :S although in that case, I integrated with nlite as opposed to guirunonce)

• 6 months later...

I havn't tested it but it may work. After normally integrating xpize .EXE file as hotfix, use the addon maker on xpize with /S /nofiles switch and again integrate the generated .cab file into nlite hotfix page.

Edit:

Tested. It works ;) . You can ofcourse make an addon with /S switch alone and integrate just that instead of two files as in above method, but that wont show the royale-theme-colours while installing windows.

Edited by h_k_v2000