New at programing

Hi! :hello:

I would like to learn a language that is good for games. But since I never programmed before maybe I should start with a simple language. What's the best language to learn at the beginning and whats the best to learn later for games? Or there is one that fills both requirements? I would also apreciate if you could give links to tutorials and compilers. Thanks in advance! :thumbup

Edit: I just saw something about game engines. Are they necessary? How to use them? Got good tutorials?

Sorry for so many questions.

Edited by _sergio_

either c++ or java

These languages, while important, were never designed to teach programming to those who have never programmed before. As far as I know only two languages were designed to teach programming and they are BASIC (which I wouldn't recommend, just my personal preference) and Pascal. I always use Pascal to teach programming to non-programmers (sometimes Delphi - Visual Pascal).

Just my 2p worth. :w00t:

Edited by FAT64

BASIC was my first language but that what it is, basic.

i see no point in having someone learn an outdated language. he might as well learn c++/java now, there are nice books on them as well to teach people.

Actually Python is a great language to learn from

Its open source

its cross-platform

its has a rapid development time

its got alot of fuctionality

its got alot of users (with alot of easily accessable code).

Can be extended with C/C++ (or Java or .NET) when the user knows how to progranm correctly (or just download an extention by someone else)

It may not be good for programming games but it is a great place to start.

Ive started with BASIC and learned a few more languages (teaching myself). Im only starting to learn Python myself but i find it great to use. There is alot of documentation available for it too.

Also Basic and Pascal (in my opinion) are not very good to learn as a first language, they were the first two i started with :) but require alot of code to do a simple task

With respect, you're all recommending languages now you know how to program. Learning a new language once you know how to program is relatively straight-forward. Most of you admit to learning programming with either BASIC and/or Pascal. Do you honestly think you would be able to program in Java or C# if you've never programmed before?

Since C++ and Java are hard I will probably not start with these.

I saw examples of Python, Basic and Pascal. Python seems to be the easiest and "powerful" too. I think I will start with it. I would apreciate if you could give me a link to a good Python tutorial.

I still don't know wich one I will use later for games. I heard something about C# but I would like to hear your opinion. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I have been recomended to start with C. What do you say about that?

Edited by _sergio_

ok, firstly, i'll admit im nowhere near an expert/professional programmer, but here are my 2c

basic is an easy language to start with. its powerful up to a point in the right hands (windows defender was written in vb until microsoft converted it to c++). however, for moving to another language it can be pig awful. its syntax and the way it works sometimes is nothing like c++ or some other languages

i havent had experience with java, but on what courses i've done in college and people i know have been on, the courses either use vb or java (ive had the luck to always be on a vb one, which i already know :P). i know that the syntax of java is more like c++, so this might possibly be a good option to move on. it also is more cross-platform

c++ is where the real power lies, and if you can learn it without learning other languages good for you

personally, i learnt QBASIC at the age of 10, moved onto VB by the time i was 13 and now dabble in whatever i feel like. i am 20 now. i have tried to break into c++ a few times, but im too stuck in basic. i can get my head around php no problem, but c++ confuses me (i try something, it throws up an error, and i dont know whats causing it, try various things, no luck, give up). ive got the feeling that it might've been easier if i started in java, but...

in the end, i see it 2 ways. either go with vb and learn it easier yet have more trouble moving on, or go with java, have it a bit harder to learn, but when you want to move on it will be easier

Python Tutorials

Page 1

Page 2

Image related

Downloadable Guide

Page 3

As stated before I have learned alot of languages by teaching myself and think python is great.

It doesnt have as many constraints on variables etc, is easier to write and debug and is extremely modular. It teaches good programmng from the outset because it encourages code thats easily readable and is also OOP if you really get working on it. Its a good language to show the basics of programming, allowing alot of functionality, without worrying about the lower level system calls etc and how they are implemented. After starting with this the cross-over to C or C++ (hence Java, and .Net are also included here) is alot easier.

I dont like VB because its slow, and requires DLL's to make the program function correctly. This added with learning a language that is not cross-compatible. Like learning C++ and only learning MFC or WTL. you learn to program on a single platform but cant transfer the programs easily to another platform. Python, C, C++, Java and .Net (with the help of Mono) can be used on any platfrom.

Edited by phkninja

First off, any programmer who wants to become serious will have to learn a serious language. The only serious languages IMHO are the C languages. C and C++ are starting to get a little old, so my recommendation goes towards C#.

If you want to code games, DirectX in C# will do wonders.

First off, any programmer who wants to become serious will have to learn a serious language. The only serious languages IMHO are the C languages. C and C++ are starting to get a little old, so my recommendation goes towards C#.

i think we finally agree here. DirectX can get very complicated tho. but he defiently needs to learn the C languages. if he can gain a good understanding of those, then most of the other type of languages will be fairly easy to learn.

my point is where will BASIC bring him? to C? if so then why waste the time learning BASIC when he can go straght to C. they arnt that similar anyways. BASIC is more of a linear language.

I am a little confused now. :wacko:

Start with Python or with C? The secound choise will be C# because it's best for games. But I got confused about DirectX. Is DirectX a programming language?

Edit:

After starting with this the cross-over to C or C++ (hence Java, and .Net are also included here) is alot easier.
. (this=Python) I think I will do this and then go to C and after this C#. I'm still confused about DirectX and how to use it in programming. Edited by _sergio_

• 2 weeks later...

personally i think Visual Basic is the best beginning language for Windows programmers.

it will introduce you to the concepts of programming in Windows, give you a solid grasp of dealing with objects, and will ease you into the more advanced topics.

later on as you become more comfortable you'll be able to delve into the Win32 API if you want and learn about the more advanced aspects of Windows and .Net programming.

there are also tons and tons of VB examples online to learn from. after you get tired of VB or reach it's limitations (not sure if there are any in .Net, i haven't used it) you can migrate to C#, which can be remarkably similar to VB .Net.

comparing C and C++ to C# is apples and oranges. and the only thing that makes C# a viable language for game programming is our turbo speed CPUs and gigs of RAM that most people have these days. the game engines that professional game studios license are always coded in C++.

Edited by #rootworm