WinPE 2.0 GimageX COM based HTA

geezery

I had to remove the com objWIM.ApplyImage command and go with the command based imagex.exe because in a networked enviroment the objWIM.ApplyImage is locking the wim file. I needed to be able to deploy to multiple machines at once so the file being locked is a REAL show stopper.

I've send a message to the author of the GImageX_COM.dll to ask how to apply a image without locking the file.

The upside is I have a status indicator now. :)

(I'm showing the cmd window.)

Later,

Mark

I did also run into a problem with the capture ability. Truthfully, this won't be a big issue for our uses of it, however. We may end up removing some of the options when we switch to using WDS altogether because the regular software techs won't need to use the capture or any other advanced commands. Special projects or image creation would be handled by myself or management only, a task we wouldn't delegate to the the regular software people. So in other words, I always use the command prompt to capture images.

on my customized version you can run ghost32 reboot or shutdown.

All other options have been removed, also the tech has NO control over drive partitioning.

I've got it parsing the Image Description for any occurance of xp and if it finds that then it automatically runs the correct bootsect command.

Now all I need to do is add custom labeling of the destination drive (i.e. imagename) and get a real progress bar and then this program is perfect for my usage.

(I know how to do the custom label, I'm just taking a few days break from modifying the source)

Anyone know any examples on how to display the output of imagex to a popup window as a progress bar?

And after I'm done I'll be sure to upload it.

Later,

dabone

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping someone can help. I've taken the ghost image pe disk as the base, and want to add just the functionality of being able to apply imagex images or calling a batch file that already has the imagex switches and file name pre-populated.

What's the easiest way to do this with the least amount of code?

--------------

Update:

I've managed to get the two to coexist, but the default view seems too large for the screen. Loosing some of the icons on the bottom and right side, so suggestions on that front please help :)

Edited by sinecure

Hoping someone can help. I've taken the ghost image pe disk as the base, and want to add just the functionality of being able to apply imagex images or calling a batch file that already has the imagex switches and file name pre-populated.

What's the easiest way to do this with the least amount of code?

--------------

Update:

I've managed to get the two to coexist, but the default view seems too large for the screen. Loosing some of the icons on the bottom and right side, so suggestions on that front please help :)

It seems like you seek information on GhostExplorer? I can't think of how you have changed the GimageX... if you could put paint in your WIM, I wonder if it will let you take a screenshot and save it to a USB drive?

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to make a note regarding all the talk about the progress bar.

I recently updated my PE image using the new servicing tools provided in the new OPK version. I am sure it made other changes, but one stood out. When you are upping or dropping an image now, instead of it updating the % and time remaining on a single line, it now draws a new line with the new % in 1% increments! This might make it easier to make the progress bar work? IDK but it sounds like a start.

If you were to use, say autoit, we know it can read stuff of the screen (like how people use it to make bots for games), but is this possible:

1. Press enter to start imaging drive C

2. gImageX does not suppress the cmd prompt it is running the command from, but puts it behind the HTA (window) layer.

3. The script read line info from the cmd prompt behind GImageX.

4. The progressbar determines how to display based on info received from script.

Obviously I am partly mixing up its screen reading functionality with its other features... I think, while I am on the subject, I will contact our rep to see if the PE puts that progress info into a memory location that can be read.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been experiencing intermittant issues with the progress bar itself. I know it doesn't "work" but when it is on the screen, you get a long gray rectangle, which is helpful because you know when it is imaging, or when its waiting for you to start it. Here are the different things I have seen concerning it, and the last one is a problem.

1 - regular long rectangular bar covering 75 (or 80) % of the screen

2 - regular length but only a couple pixels in height

3 - regular length but 3-4x regular height

4 - not appearing at all

I am wondering what can cause this. Its not resolution, as I've had 1, 2 and 4 happen at the same time on a bunch of same model notebooks. #3 was experienced on one PC in a group of 12 with the same CFG.

• 6 months later...

Hello and greetings from Portugal,

I was trying to use this HTA but when I launch it: mshta imagex.hta no application is launched. When I see task manager mshta is running but I don't see anything.

Can someone please help me?

Best Regards,

Soultaker

This is meant to be run from a WinPE environment, not your OS. This can be very dangerous to run from your OS! Unless you got Task Manager to appear in the WinPE.

Hi Tripredacus:

I'm using WinPE and I've launched Task Manager through taskmgr command-line. But now everything is working. Don't know why but the problem is no longe happening. I'm launching without the mshta.exe before, and it's running! :)

Excelent job this HTA.

Again...

Funtastic work this one!

Just a good add-on would be a progress bar! :)

There is a progress bar but it does not work properly. It usually appears as a gray box that varies in size. Not sure why it varies. Some time it does not appear at all. I tried to fix it on my test server, but it resulted in it not opening the HTA at all so I gave up on it.