Is that normal , swapping drive letters ?

Innocent Devil

XP is installed in C: drive (primary partition)

from XP the drive letter is H:(logical drive in extended partition)

i installed vlited (1.0b) ultimate (with all updates peimg'ed) from dvdrw

on desktop, the C drive is changed

vista's drive (originally H: from XP ) is now C:

and rest follows

so XP become D: drive ??

is this behaviour normal ???

Sorry

found out the problem, it is vista

When installing Vista by booting from the DVD the new Vista OS will always designate itself as the C: drive, even if you are letting it configure a dual/multi boot arrangement for you with the Microsoft bootmanager. Any current system partition will then be seen from inside Vista as the D: drive. If you install Vista from within an existing Windows OS then the current system partition drive letter (almost invariably C:) will be carried into Vista and the new Vista install will assign itself the next free drive letter that was available in the Windows OS you carried out the Vista install from. To select a drive letter of choice you should create and format the Vista partition before hand and use Disk Management to assign the letter you want, then point the Vista install to that partition.

from http://www.multibooters.co.uk/

Yup, very annoying and already cost my friend a big deal of data because he mistakenly deleted the wrong partition.

I got the same problem too, but what's weird is, my friend, using the same vLited CD, free of the problem... he already have XP on partition C:\ too... luckily I didn't accidently deleted my data worth 300gb! :blink:

Vista install depends will you boot from a DVD or run the setup.exe.

One of these keep the proper partition drive names (I think the setup routine), the other makes Vista drive C (by booting the DVD).

Yup, very annoying and already cost my friend a big deal of data because he mistakenly deleted the wrong partition.

OUCH! I lost a 300 gig video library the very same way while installing Vista beta 2 last summer. Needless to say, I never repeated the mistake.

:rolleyes: