SATA + IDE

Hey again,

I have a quick question. Can I have 2 HDD's which are connected thru IDE and 1 HDD connected thru SATA-300?

I'm wondering if I can connect my hold HDD's to a new motherboard and get an extra HDD

Edited by Messerschmitt

Hey again,

I have a quick question. Can I have 2 HDD's which are connected thru IDE and 1 HDD connected thru SATA-300?

I'm wondering if I can connect my hold HDD's to a new motherboard and get an extra HDD

You can have as many hard drive as you can connect to your computer.

Nice, I thought because they use 2 different technologies it might not be compatable to use both.

And if the mobo supports UDMA 100 and 133, do I have to go into bios and set it to 133? I also think that the HDD should be able to support that otherwise it might not be better than an ATA-100 right?

Also asking this because I see quite some motherboards which now have UDMA for IDE and not ATA.

Working an IDE drive off of a SATA II drive can greatly slow things down....like making backups, copying files from SATA to IDE, etc.

There's a fix for that. I use it myself to get over 1000mbps transfer speeds out of my IDE backup drive.

I'm currently doing it on two systems.

You can use an IDE to SATA converter mounded on the back of your IDE drive, then a SATA cable runs from the converter to the second SATA port on your Mobo.

(the jumpers on the drive must be set to "Master" )

As a side effect, you free up an IDE port on your mobo for exclusive use of a DVD burner.

(burners just love to have an IDE port all of their own to play with) :thumbup

Here's the business end of an IDE drive, with the IDE to SATA dongle installed:

IDE2SATA.jpg

I've seen these little dongles for as little as $14.95. It's a cheap way to merge an IDE drive into a new SATA compatible system. You need NOT be stuck with ATA 133 speeds, ever again.

Cheers!

Andromeda43 B)

Many Mobo's have 4 SATA and 2 IDE channels (4 drives)

Your CDRW-DVDRW will take the 2nd IDE channel, put 2xIDE's HD's on the first channel.

4 x SATA's on the SATA ports.

If your primary drive is SATA change the BIOS to make it the primary boot drive.

I do not advise putting HD on the same channel as a CDR etc.

I have a server box with 4xSATA HD and 6xIDE HD (2x on the 2nd channel and 4x on a Promise PCI IDE controller)

Remember A thru Z is as far as you can go.

Many Mobo's have 4 SATA and 2 IDE channels (4 drives)

Your CDRW-DVDRW will take the 2nd IDE channel, put 2xIDE's HD's on the first channel.

4 x SATA's on the SATA ports.

If your primary drive is SATA change the BIOS to make it the primary boot drive.

I do not advise putting HD on the same channel as a CDR etc.

I have a server box with 4xSATA HD and 6xIDE HD (2x on the 2nd channel and 4x on a Promise PCI IDE controller)

Remember A thru Z is as far as you can go.

I'd actually suggest putting a simple backup drive on the same channel as an optical drive. They're not accessed as often, and the problems only occur during simultaneous burning and disk access (which on a less-frequently used drive shouldn't be an issue).

And you can go farther than A to Z (although you can't use A or B - those are still reserved for floppy drives). You can mount an NTFS drive in an empty folder. That's what I do with my "My Documents" - it's on a separate partition in the event that something goes haywire with my Windows. I'm not sure if there is any specific limit to the number of mounted volumes or if it's up to you.

Using NTFS, a volume can have multiple segments spanning multiple hard disks. The maximum number of segments in a volume is 32, the maximum number of segments you can create on one hard disk is 8 and the maximum number of volumes is 64.

:S <--- I hope I'm not the only one.

For clarification...

segments per hard disk = 8

segments per volume = 32

max volumes = 64

When talking in "normal english", what's a segment? I think that we'd be talking about a volume (aka - "drive") that's made up of several segments (partitions?) on one or more disks. And that you can have up to 64 "drives"... let me know if I screwed up somewhere. I'm pretty sure I did.

Ok one second, now i'm a little confused especialy since I don't understand quite a big part from the last posts.

As Bigbrit said many mobos have 4 SATA and 2 IDE. The 4 Satas you can use them for HDD's primarely and from what I understood even CD/DVD ROM's units. I don't know how the performance change by chaning CD/DVD ROM's from IDE to SATA.

So in theory you can have the CD/DVD ROM's on 1 IDE (2 drives) the SATA HDD's on SATA, and the old HDD's that were working on IDE inserted in the second IDE on the mobo right?

By this setup you have the speed of the SATA for the SATA HDD's, and the speed of an ATA on the IDE HDD, is that correct? And by using that IDE HDD just as backup or storage, or watching movies on that one you won't notice any difference I supose.

Are my statements correct? It dosen't mean that by having an IDE HDD on a IDE slot will slow down all the other SATA HDD's correct?

Now if I understood what Andromeda said, you can make that IDE HDD as well to boost up it's speed for a bit more using that little thing right? What's it's name, how can you find it to buy it?

No idea what is with the segments :)

The drives on different channels (and therefore on each individual SATA port) are completely independent from each other speed-wise. The drives on IDE won't slow down the drives on SATA.

You can buy an IDE-SATA converter, but don't expect to get huge speed gains from it (aside from freeing up a channel). The drive is still limited to how fast it can spit out the data, and the interface still isn't the bottleneck these days.