New Install W98SE step-by-step guide

LL028

Hi :hello:

Just discovered the W98 Still Alive campaign and would like to use a new/used small Hard drive to try a fresh install on old hardware with emphasis on SPEED and security/up-to-date.

6G Maxtor HD on GA586BX with 96 megs RAM Slot 1 Intel 333Mhz CPU and W98SE CD

As I understand it the unattended CD install pages are NOT for W98SE.

I don't seem to be using the right search terms on this forum to find something similar for W98SE. Can someone point me in the right direction.

First question is my hardware capable.

Lorraine

Hi :hello:

Just discovered the W98 Still Alive campaign and would like to use a new/used small Hard drive to try a fresh install on old hardware with emphasis on SPEED and security/up-to-date.

6G Maxtor HD on GA586BX with 96 megs RAM Slot 1 Intel 333Mhz CPU and W98SE CD

As I understand it the unattended CD install pages are NOT for W98SE.

I don't seem to be using the right search terms on this forum to find something similar for W98SE. Can someone point me in the right direction.

First question is my hardware capable.

Lorraine

have a browse thru the links in my sig.

Thanks. There is so much information. From your sig link I chose 98SE Unattended Boot CD (UBCD) and have downloaded the file Win98_UBCD_4.5_Release in Zip format onto my main machine.

It seems I will need to install a 2nd CD-Rom player/reader wherein I can sit my W98SE CD in order to pull off the CABs as needed. I have NERO to burn the ISO when the time comes.

On my test machine I will remove the ISA NIC 2000 compatible and CT1600 Sound Blaster card to make things go easier. And Format the C: drive again as one whole 6 Gig space. That will leave only the ATI video card in AGP slot.

I see active discussion on UBCD thread so will give results there.

It will be a real test of your latest 4.5 release as I'm assuming there could be a lot of knowldege assumed I don't have.

Lorraine