Mounting Image Error, Filter Manager, -2147023504

max_carpenter

Hi, I jhave just installed Vlite Beta 1.0 on my newish install of Windows XP that I have had for about a week now, The program loads up fine, I select the location of the 'CLEAN' Vista disk it then copies the files to the PC and asks me which version of Vista I would like to work on, No matter what one I select it instantly comes up with the following message:

Mounting Image Error.

Did you restart after installing the Filter Manager?

Anyway try restarting your computer now and see if that helps,

if that does not solve the issue please report.

- Code: -2147023504

Well for starters I don't even know what the Filter Manager is is that something within Vlite or is it something extra I have to install?

Nlite is working perfectly fine on the same computer or is becuase Nlite and Vlite can't work together?

Heres the details of my PC:

Windows XP Pro SP2 Build 2600

On a 2000 Server Domain

2GB DDR 1 RAM

3.0GHZ Intel Pentium 4 Processor

DVD-/+RW

Office 2003

IE6

Up to date with Windows update (just not IE7)

39GB free on my C drive with alot more on my other two drives

2GB Virtual Memory

3.35GB Pagefile Space

Any other specs you want to know?

Two of my colleagues are wanting Custom Vista disks for themselfs and I told them the final version is not out of Vlite but they are willing to give Beta 1.0 a try as its almost the final but I can't seem to get it running. If I had time I would try it on another XP machine, a 2000 Machine and My 2007 Enterprise Server which I must say I hate it, way to complicated compared to 2003 and 2000 can't get the bloody thing to be a Domain Controller, but anyway thats off topic.

Any help appreciated.

You should reinstall WIM and Filter Manager for starters.

Then are you Administrator on that xp sp2 machine?

Anyway first delete

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\WimFltr.sys and restart vlite. Then tell it to install WIM if it prompts (it should). If it fails again the same then

delete

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\fltMgr.sys and WimFltr.sys and restart vlite. After installing both reboot the computer before usage.

Btw when Filter Manager installation asks you for the XP CD make sure it's the same version as the one you're using, meaning that it has SP2 in it.

Ok deleted the two files started up Vlite and it only asked me to install WIM not the other one so decided to restart first so restarted, check the two files again not there so started Vlite again only asked me to install WIM again so ok installed tried restarting Vlite again but just started up fine but same error occurs but the fltMgr.sys returns all by itself without me having to press install or anything. Spooky?

Also I do not get asked for Win XP SP2 at any point.

Am I doing something wrong?

Aaa you have File Protection enabled.

Well then I don't believe it's Filter Manager problem, should be only WIM.

It didn't help I presume...well then try searching on this forum, people with this error just say: "I reinstalled my Windows and now it works". Very weird bug.

Ok, there is way of turning it off I beleive but I can't remember how. The problem is I jus can't reinstall its a work PC with lots and lots of tools installed plus I would be down while its doing it and people get annoyed.

AHHH HELP ME!!!

Ok after some hacking around with a Windows DLL I managed to get File Protection disabled and it now ddoes not replace the file a few seconds after I delete it. So I delete both the files and start Vlite, it promts me to install the First one, ok install, reboot, install the second one, fine lets continue, select my Vista source bang same error, so try again this time I install the first one say no to reboot install second one which says failed, reboot start vlite it asks me again to install second one try again still no luck, ok so tried installing 1st, reboot install 2nd reboot still nothing.

What is the exact procedure I need to delete files in what order and install, do I need to delete one install one restart delete the other install the other restart? or is it just my system?

Don't sweat around it any more, if the reinstall didn't help once then it won't.

Do you have some antivirus resident, try disabling it...but that helps in other scenarios, this one is bizzare.

Oh I forgot the basic question, which Vista it is, the exact version (you can read it on the vLite Start page after browsing) and language.

Vista: 6.0.6.16386 32Bit

We have Kaspersky on the Server which every hour detects new computers and automaticly installs itself but mine is excluded at the moment and is not installed on mine.

Could try it on my laptop and I prob will in a bit.

Well I have tried to do it on my laptop and exactly the same happens, thats also running Win XP Pro SP2 but its got a completply different set of software and updates actually hasn't been updated in a long time, just tying to delete the two files then retry see if it works on there

Now you really got my attention. But you know I use XP SP2 too and never got that issue...well it was there during development when WIM of Manager weren't working properly.

Do you install all critical updates (hotfixes) ?

Sorry didnt get to post later, Automatic Updates is turned off on my laptop but it does have a certain amount of updates from ones I have done so I wouldn't say its that out of date.

So two computers doing the same thing, both Windows XP Pro SP2 with updates, one has Admin Pack, Tools, is on a Domain File protection Turned off, the other has regular stuff like anti-virus, messenger, office etc with File Protection turned on and prompts me whether I want to replace the modified file or leave i when I install the WIM and Filter Manager I have tried both options.

So at a dead point at the moment, I am just trying another disc of Vista, the last one was for a mate who copied the disk and gave it to me so I could give him an un-attended today I am going to try with my nice new OEM Ultimate version and lets see if that works.

Coping onto PC now so I'll let you know how it goes.

Well, I have just succesfully copied the Vista disk clicked on Ultimate and clicked next on the same pc that wasn't working it must be the versio of vista prob didnt copy properly or something. I will work through this copy and tell you if it works or not.

Oh, that's a twist.

So it is the image not the program...that reminds me, could have been read-only attributes. Next time you encounter it try removing all read-only attributes from that folder and subfolders.