how to do this?

If you want to use Autounattend.xml on Vista DVD copy it to the root of the directory, where you've copied the Vista DVD to and create an ISO file than.

...............im not surewhat to do when i got to the dvd and paste the autounattend file it gives me an error..? can someone tell me what to do or how to work that?

i have tis file....... en_windows_vista_business_x86_DVD_VL_X13-13415 and the AutoUnattend.xml what do i do from here?

Thank You

Edited by alexch

Please RTFM!

Or u dont have to copy the .xml to the root of the CD/DVD .iso file, u could copy it to the root of any drive, as in floppy, root of C: and so on. However, there is an internal order on how it searches the drives and so on..... well, anyway, still it's a matter of RTFM.

Or if u wanna add the .xml file to the .iso image before burning, then it's a matter on how the .iso editor that u are using is working.

Edited by Br4tt3

so all i have to do is get a software to extract my iso file and put the xml file inside the root or the sources folder and save that iso file and burn it?

I suggest u download the free of charge WAIK tools from MS. Install them, once there, go to C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Docs\CHMs and open the WAIK.chm and search for "panther" and it will return the first entry: "Methods for running windows setup". The following can be found:

Search Order Location Description

Registry

HKLM\System\Setup!UnattendFile

Specifies a pointer in the registry to an answer file. The answer file is not required to be named Unattend.xml.

%WINDIR%\panther\unattend

The name of the answer file must be Unattend.xml or Autounattend.xml.

%WINDIR%\panther

Windows Setup caches answer files to this location.

Important:

Do not overwrite the answer files in these directories.

Removable read/write media in order of drive letter, at the root of the drive.

Removable read/write media in order of drive letter, at the root of the drive.

The name of the answer file must be Unattend.xml or Autounattend.xml, and the answer file must be located at the root of the drive.

Removable read-only media in order of drive letter, at the root of the drive.

Removable read-only media in order of drive letter, at the root of the drive.

The name of the answer file must be Unattend.xml or Autounattend.xml, and must be located at the root of the drive.

windowsPE and offlineServicing passes:

\sources directory in a Windows distribution

All other passes:

%WINDIR%\system32\sysprep

In the windowsPE and offlineServicing passes, the name of the answer file must be Autounattend.xml.

For all other configuration passes, the file name must be Unattend.xml.

%SYSTEMDRIVE%

The answer file name must be Unattend.xml or Autounattend.xml

Greetings....

@All,

Be aware that when you create a bootable Vista DVD with an answer file in the root of the DVD, it will automatically start when you put the DVD in a XP system.

What I mean is the autorun option will start the Vista setup and the vista setup will automatically detect the unattend.xml file in the root of the DVD and setup continues on a system where you only wanted to view the contents of the DVD.

I did experience this myself and lost a very good working XP system that way.

Greetings,

Bitfrotter

@All,

Be aware that when you create a bootable Vista DVD with an answer file in the root of the DVD, it will automatically start when you put the DVD in a XP system.

What I mean is the autorun option will start the Vista setup and the vista setup will automatically detect the unattend.xml file in the root of the DVD and setup continues on a system where you only wanted to view the contents of the DVD.

I did experience this myself and lost a very good working XP system that way.

Greetings,

Bitfrotter

Bitfrotter, small hint just in case you don't know pressing shift when inserting cd/dvd disables autorun :rolleyes:

Hmm. I'll have to check this out! What happens when the install process reboots? The typical MS boot sector on an installation disk requires a "hit any key to start from CD...." message and if no key is pressed, control is handed on to the next booting device - normally the hard disk. Without this intervention it seems to me the installation process would be caught in an endless loop of somekind. Not good.

Pressing the Shift key is a good idea, but certainly not the expected required behaviour of an installation disk. Am I missing something here?

Hmm. I'll have to check this out! What happens when the install process reboots? The typical MS boot sector on an installation disk requires a "hit any key to start from CD...." message and if no key is pressed, control is handed on to the next booting device - normally the hard disk. Without this intervention it seems to me the installation process would be caught in an endless loop of somekind. Not good.

Pressing the Shift key is a good idea, but certainly not the expected required behaviour of an installation disk. Am I missing something here?

Thats not the issue, by the time of first reboot in Vista setup has formatted repartitioned etc. & he's not talkin of a cold boot where windows asks to press any key. he's saying if the current os in this case XP is running & the Ua dvd gets loaded setup runs & finds the ans file then starts installing. depends how soon you notice it & halt the setup before its too late.

Simple solution disable autorun spoken frequently about around here. :rolleyes:

Edited by MAVERICKS CHOICE